Mille Cochin Info

I think the issue here is understanding how the blue gene works. It, like chocolate, is a dilute of black. If you breed blue to black you will get some blue and some black and sometimes splash (sometimes called a sport which appears to be very white with splashes of blue) but you will never have both blue and black feathers on the same bird. Eta: you may have some feathers which are very dark... But when you look closely it is still blue. Our monitors and cameras can sometimes miss the subtle differences.

I have seen this before in birds where breeders were thinking they had a recessive chocolate bird when, in actuality, they had a combination of brown or partridge genes as there were both choc. And black feathers on the same bird.

To me, The pullet you posted clearly shows a black Mille fleur type pattern. Her hackles are obviously black. Now looking at this younger picture of your cockerel, his tail does look smokey blue but I believe there are other genes mixed in with him to create this smutty look (lemon bras siness). that makes it hard to tell. And that's been a huge problem with the creation of this variety ... Who knows what the heck colored birds people tossed in the mix to make something pretty and sell as "calico" or "Mille fleur".
Thanks, sounds right. I raise Splash Marans so understand the B/B/Sp, but the MF part is what is new to me. As you say, that doesn't change the B/B/Sp. issue. However, a true MF is a gold-based bird, right, like a d'uccle? A Speckled Sussex, for example, has MF patterning, but is a mahogany based bird, which is what most MF Cochins seem to be that I see presented as MF: is that correct?

Anyway, ignoring pattern quality for now, you are correct with the photo/computer quality situation. My Ricky doesn't have black on him and all his under-down is a grey/blue color, as I tried to show in the juvenile photo. The bird posted in #8008 looks like mine, but with a more "mottled" chest, and it has mahogany hackles instead of the gold hackles that Ricky has. They are all pretty, but I have yet to figure out what a standard should look like, besides for the basic (mahogany-bsed) MF Cochin.

This is maybe five months ago. Ricky is just 1 year old this month. Whatever he is, he is a handsome guy. Even my meanie Penedesenca loved him!

As pullets last September: Ethel: Calico Lucy: Regular MF (But Incomplete--not full pattering of MF)

"Mille fleur" is a variety that is already available in many different breeds of chicken. You can check out any of those standards to know what a mille fleur cochin should look like. It is orange vermillion in males and a deep buff in females like a mille fleur Belgian d'uccle. "Calico" , on the other hand, doesn't mean much (when discussing a pattern standard) because there is no written description. I understand the genetic makeup behind why some feel there should be one, but unfortunately the nickname is much overused to label any bird carrying excess white... What you have are mille fleur project birds of various genetic makeup. :)

Bantaman!! Nice to see you.. Kinda ..been too long. You still working on milles?

Last edited:
ok question for you guys, I haven't quite read all of the posts but I am working on it. I am working with millie fleur bantam cochins and while I definitely don't have anything to brag about yet, I think I am doing pretty good. I am loving the colors on my roosters and the patter is shaping up....BUT my hens are so so white. Would maybe breeding to a buff help this? For example, my dark roos over a buff hen or my too white hens to a buff roo? or maybe red would be better?

"Mille fleur" is a variety that is already available in many different breeds of chicken. You can check out any of those standards to know what a mille fleur cochin should look like. It is orange vermillion in males and a deep buff in females like a mille fleur Belgian d'uccle. "Calico" , on the other hand, doesn't mean much (when discussing a pattern standard) because there is no written description. I understand the genetic makeup behind why some feel there should be one, but unfortunately the nickname is much overused to label any bird carrying excess white... What you have are mille fleur project birds of various genetic makeup.
smile.png
Thanks! They are sweet, lovely birds, and I am enjoying them as a side mini-project to my main breeding of Splash Marans.

"Mille fleur" is a variety that is already available in many different breeds of chicken. You can check out any of those standards to know what a mille fleur cochin should look like. It is orange vermillion in males and a deep buff in females like a mille fleur Belgian d'uccle. "Calico" , on the other hand, doesn't mean much (when discussing a pattern standard) because there is no written description. I understand the genetic makeup behind why some feel there should be one, but unfortunately the nickname is much overused to label any bird carrying excess white... What you have are mille fleur project birds of various genetic makeup.
smile.png

Bantaman!! Nice to see you.. Kinda ..been too long. You still working on milles?
Hey Msbear
No I havent got back into them as of yet but the possibility is always there now that I am retired and have a bit more time on my hands Been thinking that if I do get back in them I might give a try at the LF Its just a thought Hows your group coming along ?

Back
Top Bottom