Mille Cochin Info

When you ask for an opinion... be prepared for opinions. lol

Lynne has some gorgeous birds. But, when you purchase eggs, you are NOT buying beautiful birds, you are buying a possibility of hatching a beautiful bird. That is why I personally buy started birds or adults so I know what I am getting. I have some very nice birds but they don't all give me very nice birds. I sure wish they did.

THIS IS NOT MY BIRD ...but just a little reminder of what we should be breeding toward and why I said what I said. This bird is "loads better" than mine by the way.... but this is my goal.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
When you ask for an opinion... be prepared for opinions. lol Lynne has some gorgeous birds. But, when you purchase eggs, you are NOT buying beautiful birds, you are buying a possibility of hatching a beautiful bird. That is why I personally buy started birds or adults so I know what I am getting. I have some very nice birds but they don't all give me very nice birds. I sure wish they did. THIS IS NOT MY BIRD ...but just a little reminder of what we should be breeding toward and why I said what I said. This bird is "loads better" than mine by the way.... but this is my goal.
In her original post it was emphasized that she was looking for "HELPFUL tips and suggestions. Things like some others on here have added like getting darker, mottled birds to cross with. I am no Cochin expert. I'm new to "breeding" in general (in that I enjoy hatching and trying to improve on my birds, not breeding for profit) I think the milles are a beautiful variety and tho maybe not the best project to start with because of complexity, I will try because I like them. Comments like yours are not only discouraging for the variety in general but also makes others apprehensive to even ask for advise for fear of being shamed off the forum. I agree, the picture posted is what we should all be working towards in our chosen Cochin variety. But in the many (smaller) shows I have been to observing, I have never seen a Cochin quite like this one, nor have I even seen a picture of a Cochin like this in Mille variety. So let's maybe try to have more constructive criticism and tips to improve for those who are brave enough to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Brave enough to ask???" More like brave enough to answer! She asked twice for opinions. It's no wonder why people scroll past these posts without answering anymore. It's much easier to watch other newbies with their "helpful" advice and scroll on... Meanwhile this person thinks they have something special and worth selling eggs from next year., and the entire cycle happens again.

The reason why this project is so stagnet (type wise) is because the expectations are this low. Yours look like mine and mine looks like yours so we are all OK right...

That's not good enough for me.... And, if you wish to breed toward the standard, it shouldn't be good enough for you either. I see birds this nice st every show I attend. And use birds this nice to cross my milles into.

Eta: I understand most on here just want pretty birds and that's fine... Just trying to let those that want more... To strive for it and do what it takes. It's absolutely possible if you try.

Last edited:
goodpost.gif

I bought my Calico cochins from a hatchery because I wanted a bantam to use for brooding and thought I might as well get something I liked the looks of. I am well aware of what mille fleur color pattern looks like but personally think the Calicoes are a prettier bird. I have no intention of ever showing my birds, but will sell off extras as I need to. I am definitely a hobby poultry person. Did not realize that by being so, that I was trying to bring the standard of poultry down to my level. I get extreme pleasure out raising my birds and have done so for 50 years. I wonder when the show bird people wish to sell off their culls, who do they plan to sell them to if not us hobby people. Maybe we need to have a page for hobby people and a page for show people so we don't offend each other.

I'm curious which hatchery has calicos as I didn't think any did.

And for backyard love,there's nothing wrong with them. I have 40+ of the same type in my coop too. I love mine to death. Lol

And for show/standards folks. I can't blame them at all pointing out faults. Its their passion to breed the best. And totally understand where they want folks to breed for the best as so many breed to breed for any reason of their own. They may come off harsh, but as someone who's trying to better the type, I do understand the frustration.
And I'm sure they don't mean to be offensive. But it happens.

I breed and own show quality mini horses. And feel the same way when it comes to folks breeding them when I personally feel there flooding the market with junk. So coming from a breeders aspect, I get it. Cause I've def offend folks too. And unfortunately prob still will without thinking of the persons feelings. I try not to mean harm. But its a passion for me. Lol

So don't take nothing to heart even tho its hard.

I know my birds are poor quality vrs standards. But I'm trying to better my type and learning as I go. And do sell eggs to help cover expenses and I'm sure I'm a thorn in a better breeders side. But oh well. It is what it is. And nothing will stop me.

I have had my cochins for three years now and ordered them from a hatchery in Iowa. CountrySide Hatchery or something similar. Don't know if they are still in business or not. I also sell chickens and hatching eggs to help offset the cost of my hobby. I am a victim of chicken math. .I sell a lot of goose eggs and goslings also, but think my geese are maybe a better quality than my Bantams. Thanks for sharing, makes me feel better knowing I am not alone out here in chicken land.

Back
Top Bottom