Mille Cochin Info

Pics
Ok, here are updated pics of the 3 chicks I hatched from tate. They're right at a month old now. Sorry the pics aren't great...the older they get the less they like their photo ops!

#1 - Pretty sure he's a cockerel. I think I'll use him for the "Candy Corn" project since he has so much white.
15626_dscn1988.jpg

#2 - I think this one is a cockerel too. He was VERY dark when he was born, but is getting some white and buff coming in now.
15626_dscn1989.jpg

#3 - I think this is the only pullet out of the group. (She's in the middle; on the left is #2's backside). She has a lot of buff and gray and is getting some white now. Her down looked a lot like a MF D'Uccle. I have high hopes for her!
15626_dscn1990.jpg

The partridgey looking cockerel will probably turn out to be your best one. I had a pullet feather like that and
hit.gif
I sent her packing cause I thought she wasn't going to add up to much. That is why I keep everything til Im absolutely sure. Chalk it up, I guess.

WooT!!!!!! i found out i may get either eggs or birds in the spring...

realized through a series of clicks that lynne is on the west coast... which makes getting either a lot easier for me.. lol...
i'm ssoo excited.... i'm asking everyone i know to give me home depot GC's gor christmas.. so i can build a banty condo complex...

My first MF (project) trio are finally(!!) all in residence now, with the arrival of Paprika (aka 'Pappy'), who comes to me from Norm J. in NY. He joins my pullets Ginger and Nutmeg, my beautiful girls from Lynne. I've been trying to understand all the genetic codes in the past few threads - he doesn't have the black mottling on his breast. I hope I have chosen wisely - for type first, then color. (The build the house and then paint it theory.) I hope they will complement one another - would love to hear some assessments from the experts here on the thread. Waiting anxiously for Spring! ~Gail

40221_pappy1.jpg

40221_pappy2.jpg

40221_pappy4.jpg

40221_nutmeg_ginger.jpg

40221_nutmeg_ginger2.jpg

Thanks for the photos on chicks. I love to see how they mature and change. It sure can give me and others a good idea of what we may see.
They are sooo cute, too! Looks like a great beginning. I bet they are friendly and gentle. One of the main reasons I love my Cochins.

Paprika is lovely! He will create some wonderful babies with Nutmeg and Ginger! He has a love for the camera, it looks like, so we can see more shots of him as he grows to love his ladies and will produce some outstanding chicks. I can't wait to see the offspring.

Thanks all for sharing your photos and advice!

From my standards books:

Mille Fleur. Plumage is primarily orange with white and greenish black accents.

MALE: Orangey red head feathers are tipped with white and black. Hackle has rich orangey red feathers accuentuated by a single greenish black arrow shot into a white diamond-shaped spangle at the tip. The front of neck, breast, and body have golden feathers tipped by a white diamond set against a "V" of black. (So, the brest does need black). Back feathers are deep redish gold highlighted by a greenish black stripe and a white diamond tip. Wings are the same shade of red as the back but show black and white striping. Tail is primarily black highlighted with white.

FEMALE: Similar to the male, but back, saddle, and wings are the same shade of gold as the neck and breast.

Last edited:
Very nice roo, Coop Cabana. He has nice type and gorgeous color!! He will compliment your girls nicely. I would hatch as many as possible in the Spring and hold onto a nice male with lots of black to put back to Nutmeg and Ginger and put him with some of the nicer daughters. You have a great start.

Back
Top Bottom