Mille Cochin Info

Pics
Quote:
Thank you so much for the kind words. We will see what 2010 produces!

Josh,

I just went out & checked everyone's feet. All of them are yellow. I don't know what you have going on. It is interesting & probably someone with genetic knowledge (like Krys) would be able to tell you how it came about.

oohh lynne, i LOVE little Vinnie...
i thought i liked the mostly white ones best, but he is just gorgeous... are you using him in the project?? i really need to sit down and figure out all theis genetics stuff you guys are doing.. i'm more a rial and error person.. but waiting for it to get old enough to breeed.. then hatching that set and waiting for them to get feathered.....
when did you guys start on this color project???

*sits in the corner and waits till she can get her MFC*

I've decided I don't like the typical MFC to much. They are pretty.

But I think the odd colored dark or light ones are to drool for.
droolin.gif
Maybe I'm just weird.

I might just work to breeding odd colored birds instead of the mille fleur. Or maybe both. I don't know.

All of them sure are good looking though. Gr. I wish mine would hurry up and grow.

My second trio has arrived from Amazondoc!

These two girls are Sandstorm and Tsunami (S in front, T in back)

P1010848.jpg

Here's Volcano (the roo) and Tsunami:

P1010846.jpg

I love both the "traditional" Mille Fleur color/pattern (modeled here by "Gem" and "Jewel"my newest pullets ~ from Amazondoc):

36635_img_5984-1.jpg

As well as the birds with the excessive white (which I have been calling "Candy Corn Cochins") like my beautiful "Candy"

36635_img_5855-2.jpg

I will actually be working on two, separate projects. I have a wonderful foundation flock of MFC project birds that I've acquired from breeders like Amazondoc, Lynne (wwmicasa), Mike Vogan, Josh Singleton (Bantyman) and Tim Kerbo (the guy I get my excessive whites from) and I will be breeding for both the 'traditional Mille Fleur' as well as for the lovely white Candy Corn Cochins. In fact, the Yahoo MFC group has a poll going on right now to vote for a name for the CCCs. Some of the interested breeders prefer a different name so we're considering a number of options, including "Calico Cochin" "Confetti Cochin", "Jubilee", "Cosmopolitan" and several others.

I went through a HORRIBLE ordeal with my two, newest excessive white pullets that arrived, via Priority Mail on Frosty, Wednesday morning. You can read all about it on yesterday's blog post: http://bluffcountrybackyardchickens.blogspot.com/2009/11/what-day.html

I would stick to names that are already used in other varieties like

mille fleur splash or buff splash or speckled buff. I like jubilee. That way they would be given more respect as a real variety later on.

oegb breeders call random offshoots of some vaieties, "sports" (most do tend to have excessive white) maybe that could be a possibility... mille fleur sport.

Quote:
I think has been mentioned on the yahoogroup... kinda got a little heated over there. Personally, I'd prefer a more standard name, like the ones mentioned that are already used for other breeds/varieties.

Msbear, what kind of columbian cochins do you have?

Quote:
I think has been mentioned on the yahoogroup... kinda got a little heated over there. Personally, I'd prefer a more standard name, like the ones mentioned that are already used for other breeds/varieties.

Msbear, what kind of columbian cochins do you have?

You know you love chickens when naming a new variety can get heated
lol.png

I have bantam co. cochins. I lost my best hens this year and was thinking of selling out but I have an exceptional cockerel coming up which has revived me a bit
smile.png
...so I'll probaly dive in again in the Spring.

Quote:
I actually started giggling when Nancy said that someone didn't get a vote, she was teasing I'm sure... I said "Wow, that was harsh!". I voted in the poll, I did my part
tongue.png

I was just asking because somehow, somewhere, I need a bantam buff columbian cochin to breed into my MFC stock. Everybody is sold out, no hatching eggs to be found... I'm about ready to give up on them for a while. Kinda frustrating.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom