Mille Cochin Info

Pics
Thanks MSbear..... Good question on the shipping; my pheasants were shipped from PA and Lynnes birds right next door from CA on the same day and they arrived the same day so who know huh?
hmm.png

Please keep in mind ~ this is just the VERY beginning of my project! The birds that we're selecting now will be the foundation flock. There will be lots of variation ~ some with too much black or too solid colord ~ but we'll keep selectively breeding in hopes of creating a variety that looks (sort of) like my "Candy" and breeds true...

Here are my two newest future foundations hens:

36635_img_6137-1.jpg

Meet "Opal" and "Crystal"!

36635_img_6166-1.jpg

How could anybody NOT fall in love with THIS:

36635_img_6168-1.jpg

This is going to be SUCH a fun project...

* You can read about how Opal almost died on the day that I got her by clicking on the link to my blog in my signature line. It's hard to believe now but I truly thought that I had lost her. *

Quote:
Nancy, Keep in mind these guys have a lot of growing to do and, though they looked candied now, that may not be the case in a few months.

Nancy, Keep in mind these guys have a lot of growing to do and, though they looked candied now, that may not be the case in a few months

I do realize that Erin and that is why I will select for the ones with the most white when chosing future generations. I'm anticipating that my girls will develop a lot more color as they mature. I'm hoping that by not selecting for the black cheverons and buff/mahogany color, it will lead to birds that keep more and more white. Time will tell....

;-)​

Quote:
Ah, but there IS adifference in the pattern from MF Alpinefarm (is that Amy? ~ I'll NEVER keep names and ID's straight!)
What I've been calling "Candy Corn Cochins" don't necessarily have a black chevron and a white tip on each feather. NOR would that be the goal. Look again at Candy:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/36635_img_5848-2.jpg

I will breed her to a rooster with little to no black in hopes of minimizing the amount of black in the next generation.

I think part of what makes her SO pretty is the LACK of an organized pattern. What I'm thinking in my mind a "Candy Corn Cochin" would look like is a mostly white Cochin with lots of flecks of buff/red/mahogany and black. The main priority would be that the phenotype is that of a white background on which the other colors are 'splashed'.

I'm Rosemary, Nancy...best of luck with your white-with-brown-and-black spotted cochin project. I hope it takes you in a happy direction.
Thank you very much for explaining your goals to those of use who have been a leeetle confused by your interest in finding a new name for a group of "whiter" mille fleur project birds. But certainly you will need a new name if you are trying to "lose" the chevrons.

The pullet you posted does actually show chevroning on her tail and then just a lesser or non-defined pattern elsewhere. From what my experience has been, I agree with Erin that she specifically may change a bunch as she matures.

Back
Top Bottom