Mille Cochin Info

Pics
There are a number of us MFC fanciers/breeders who are also interested in breeding for the excessive white project birds that occassionally pop up in the mille fluer breeding projcet. On the Yahoo MFC Group, we've been trying to decide on the name that we'd like to call these flashy, little birds. My "Candy" is a good example:

36635_img_5002-1.jpg
36635_img_3756-1.jpg

Recently, we've been voting, in a poll, for the name that we would like to assign to these flashy cochins. Origianally, I called them "Candy Corn Cochins" but several names that better describe them have been brought up. It's time to close our poll but we are deadlocked! It's a TIE between "Calico Cochin" and "Confetti" Cochin.

36635_img_5855-2.jpg

Want to help us out? If you aren't on the Yahoo list, and/or haven't voted, please tell us on HERE which name you prefer. Calico.
Or Confetti? Please don't suggest other names. These are the two that it was narrowed down to from a list of many!

I'll count any votes posted before NOON on Monday, November 23rd. The new name will be announced on the Yahoo Group and on here on Tuesday morning...

May the best name WIN....

Oops! I haven't voted yet - I'll get to it shortly. I'm leaning toward Calico, only because everyone knows what colors to expect when they hear the word "Calico". Confetti might suggest many different colors to many different people.

But a reminder to everyone - the breeders on the MF Yahoo Group are still hard at work on achieving true Mille Fleur Cochins, as well as the Calico Sports! It's a great place for anyone working on these tri-color varieties to share their progress, advice, ideas, and get expert advice from those who have dedicated themselves to the project for the past several years.

And our Moderator is the Best!!!

Maybe we should take a vote on renaming this thread "The Candy Thread"
lau.gif
I think I've seen her pic on every other page
gig.gif

I do like calico sport. Sport has something to do with excessive whites in oegb's right?

eta: nevermind. I copied this from Sonoran Silkies on another thread:

Sport is one of two things.

1) an unexpected mutation instead of the expected phenotype. Such as if you bred two lavenders and from that pairing hatched a grey, or bred two barred birds and hatched a red pyle. (I know of an incident when the first occurred; I cannot imagine a gene-set or mutation that would give rise to the later.)

2) much more commonly a sport would be when a recessive gene randomly pairs up with another and it shows in the offspring. Mottled from two parents who are not known to carry mottle; or lavender or recessive white under the same circumstances.

Splash is predictable, and should be expected from blue breedings. Now if you hatched splash from breeding two recessive white birds together, it would qualify as a sport.

Last edited:
I cant think of her name right off, it means fancy equine, it has equine in the name, and I think she is in WA state. equinebling? equibling? Sorry, I should know her name by now!

Back
Top Bottom