Mille Cochin Info

Quote:
Have one. Tested it again before this last batch went in. The first time, temp spiked to 106 while I was at work and killed them all. Second time it was so humid here that I couldn't get the humidity below 70%... had a few hatch, but they were all gummy from too much humidity. This last batch is on day 22, but now it's so dry that even with the water wells filled, two soaked socks in the 'bator, and a room humidifier, I can't get it above 21% humidity.

Quote:
Have one. Tested it again before this last batch went in. The first time, temp spiked to 106 while I was at work and killed them all. Second time it was so humid here that I couldn't get the humidity below 70%... had a few hatch, but they were all gummy from too much humidity. This last batch is on day 22, but now it's so dry that even with the water wells filled, two soaked socks in the 'bator, and a room humidifier, I can't get it above 21% humidity.

Do you have a hovabator? My friend Kaylee (Kryptoniteqhs) had to travel to CA for a family emergency and brought her incubator full of eggs to manage while she was away. I HATED it. The water wells were so tiny, I had to place coins over all the ventelation holes and keep wet towels in there to keep it around 40%. I tell ya this homemade prissy-bator rocks! I haven't had a problem yet. The temp spikes are hard to deal with... I think they are caused by any change in the room temp or if you cover any ventelation holes without monitoring the temps for the next hour or so. i tend to forget about that when I close mine up... luckily, I have no life and have the time to check it every 15 minutes
roll.png
Just get to know your bator and what it needs. Im betting the next time will be more successful

Here are my four babies that I hatched out of eggs from Lynne. They are 2.5 weeks old.

Three are colored very similarly, but with different degrees of darkness. The other, Sunny, is the yellow chick. The other three were chipmunk.

Benny is smaller than the others and sneezes occasionally...if I sit over there long enough, I will hear her (?) sneeze at usually once. She otherwise acts fine. I'm a little concerned though...any suggestions? They are on medicated chick starter.

Is it completely insane to try to even guess sex right now? Two have combs that are more prominent than the others...but I know some just grow at different rates, and some pullets have larger combs than other pullets.

IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5356.jpg

IMG_5347.jpg

IMG_5361.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Kristen

P.S. I just set 9 more eggs yesterday...fingers crossed for some new MFC cuties of different bloodlines.
smile.png

WOW, guess what? My pullet "Junupp" from Tim K. has started laying! Yay! Unfortunately my bators are shut down until spring. Anybody want to try these eggs if I can get 6+? PM me.
big_smile.png

Quote:
i would LOVE to try them... but i've given up making sacrifices to the post office gorillas....
good luck to whoever sets them... and grats on her first eggs

Quote:
My guess- pullet, pullet, cockerel, pullet.. nice
smile.png

eta: Im guessing from the pattern but I sex my bantam cochins at the end of week 1 from the fluff on the butt and the development of wing feathering. Cockerels feather slower so they will have small tail feather tufts where pullets will have larger ones. Pullets will develop a few feathers on the wing while the cockerels' wings will remain down for a few more days.

Last edited:
Quote:
Josh, they're beautiful. My two cockerels from you are starting to fill out more. They're looking very nice. I've got pullets laying from Lynne, and have even hatched a couple of eggs, but I haven't separated any of my Millies yet, so I don't know who the babies come from. I guess it's time to decide who goes with who, and separate them.

Oh, and on a different note, Erin, my Columbians are laying. I've picked a few eggs from them, and am going to put them in the bator in the next couple of days. As a matter of fact, they've been laying for almost a month now, but Josh's Millie roos were in there with them. So I moved the roos out of there, and have waited about 3 weeks now to collect eggs to hatch. I just love my Columbians-they're beautiful!

Quote:
Fascinating! Lord knows, I've not had the experience, myself, to hazard a guess by feathering (or anything else for that matter) but I'm wondering if Cochins are different from other breeds? I was told cockerels get their wing feathers faster than pullets. The person who told me that doesn't raise cochins but has raised and shown chickens for a number of years. Now I'm curious! Then again, I suppose that like most everything else, it's not "carved in stone" and there will always be some exceptions.

I'm tentatively excited (CAN someone be "tentatively" excited???) because one of Rose's chicks ~ that I was sure was a cockerel ~ is now looking like a pullet. I love her coloring and have high hopes for her continuing to develop into a nice little MFC hen...

Watch ~ in two more weeks, she'll look like a cockerel again!

hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom