Mille Cochin Info

Hi all! I have been wanting to get in on this project for a while. I have managed to get 2 beautiful mottled, very typey, cochin bantam hens and a beautiful red cochin bantam roo. I know I am starting from scratch but thats what I want to do! I want to see it progress right before my very own eyes.
I just need ya'll to hold my hand along the way! lol!
I guess I need to get batteries in my camera huh? That might be a good start!

Last edited:
Kinder, I am so sorry and upset to hear about your babies...what the heck could be going on? I would post in the "illness" section if you haven't already to see if someone else has experienced this. It would drive me crazy not knowing...

I am puzzled and don't know what to say, but I hope someone else has some input that might help you save the rest of them. I'm so sorry.....

Kristen

Kinder,

I am so sad to hear your news. All the best with the survivors. I'm glad the little rooster is doing so well though
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks Josh,

Here they all are as babies.
5958_all7.png

I won't be able to keep the roosters right through to see how they feather out, although maybe I can manage one stealth rooster in town. However, I will be watching the girls with interest, and will post photos of the way they grow up. There are other lines in New Zealand with quite a different look, so if eggs are available next time I have a broody hen, I will be raising some of them for comparison.

I do have a point of lay pullet from the same breeder as these babies, but I really don't like the photo I have of her. I will take one tomorrow.

KK, I am just heart broken for you. What a set back
sad.png

Are you sure they didn't freeze? It's been mighty cold up there... any sneezing? Are the d'uccle toes broken or frost bitten? Are they turning black?

Cocci would be obvious in the stool. You will see blood.

If it is chill, hopefully, you caught these guys in time. Put a light on them. Birds in sick bay, no matter the condition, respond better w/ an environment around 85 degrees.

Last edited:
Wow, that is horrible Kinder! My little mille pair is in a small shed within my garage with 4 large cochins and a 100watt heat lamp and I still find them huddled up under it at night. My 'normal' chickens are out in an unheated shed and are fine, so I am a bit surprised.

I had a group of chicks come down with coccidiosis last year, kept in my brooder shed, off the ground........when I had never had it before. It happened fast enough that I lost one even starting early treatment.

Hopefully you won't have any more problems. Glad at least stumpy is doing good.

Oh KinderKorner - I am so very sorry. How is everyone doing today?

I have wanted to join this thread for awhile and now finally feel like I can. Please allow me to introduce Fern8 (have been pronouncing it Fernate). My first MF Cochin chick, from wwmicasa1’s MF Cochin eggs – her Roo Fernando is the proud Father.

Hatching is such hard work:
DSC_0630.jpg

DSC_0631.jpg

Oops, first step is a back rolling big one
DSC_0632.jpg

Rolled over
DSC_0633.jpg

Close-up
DSC_0635.jpg

One more egg I am hoping will pip, zip and hatch – come on Fern 6!

HorseFeatherz, welcome to the MFC thread, on congrats on the chick(s)! Lynne has some great stock! Do you use the egg cartons at lockdown a lot? I'm reading various opinions, and about to go into lockdown in another week with MFC's myself. Trying to decide on whether to use the cartons or not?

WooT!!!!!!!
my birds have been chosen for me....
these are from Lynne... i think they will get to vegas area on the 18th??

i've decided to let them keep the names lynne gave them... lol..

the boy is 7 and the girls is 3

42437_73-1.jpg

okay.... okay... Seven and Three... is that better??? i know.. silly, but i kinda like it... and it's funny with the whole my chickens have names not numbers thing... my chickens names are numbers...

i'm ssooo excited for them to get here... and to see how they color out.... the were hatched 11/09.. so between 8 & 12 weeks now i think...

YaY

here's one that shows off 7's cool black that's coming in...
42437_73-2.jpg

Horsefeatherz, your photos are awesome. I have only ever hatched under a broody, and they don't let me look at the chicks until they are all fluffed up and running around.

Evonne, I love that side shot of seven. Very pretty colours coming through.

Below is my point of lay pullet, from the same breeder as the chicks I posted above. All the birds in the breeding pen were much paler than this bird, and also paler than any of my female chicks appear to be. More the colour of my paler two rooster chicks. They also had white on the tip of every feather, and a clearer background colour without the stippling of black that you may be able to see on most of these feathers. Whether that will change any more as this bird gets older, I do not know. So our birds here are still not breeding so consistently that parents and children look alike, but we do have number of exciting looking "spangle pekins" popping up at auctions quite often.
5958_zenobia_best.jpg

5958_bestrearview.jpg

This bird has been a point of lay pullet for a long time, as has her friend in the photos with her. Impatience is as much a part of keeping chooks here as anywhere in the world!

Back
Top Bottom