Mille Cochin Info

Kinder -

Wow, that really stinks.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Glad the chickens are doing better.

I lost one of my favorite birds. My only porcelian D'Unncle. But I am thankful the last three mille fleurs are hanging on for now though.

My poor animals. I am SO sick of this weather.

All my birds are hunched and cold.

My goat died from Respitory distress in just a day or two.

It has rained, snowed, rained, snowed. It's a swampy cold mess. Windy.

It was actually raining and snowing at the same time a few days ago. I didn't even know that was possible.

I want spring now. Actually no. It pours for months here. I want summer.

Years ago we had drouts. Now it stays like a swamp for months. What is up with his funky weather? It's killing me.

Hay prices are high. Because 2 years ago it was a drout and barely grew. Then last year it rained so much it flooded it, and none grew. Many of the farmers here replanted their corn fields 4 times. :eek:

Sorry for the rant. I'm just so ticked. To see my babies dying off and getting sick because of the stupid wet cold weather.

I had a small lamp in with the youngest babies which are like 4 months old.

But my coops are far to spread out, and away to run heat to them.

In a few years I am moving somwhere warmer.

Once again we are loosing.

Lost my only Blue Silkie hen. She was very very nice, hoping to show her or produce chicks. She was 5-6 months old. She had a poopy butt. So she may have started laying and had some problems interally or something.

Why is it always my expensive animals that I waited a long time to get and spent a considerable ammount of money one.

Our problem here is that it was 32 outside yesterday and raining. Then we woke up to find it 0 degress outside with 5 inches of snow.

My poor little babies can't take that much of a temperature drop and wet at the same time.
hit.gif

It's not like a have cruddy shelters either.

On a good note, the Mille Fleur and buddy group seems to be doing well. I guess there is enough of them to stay warm enough. And I plugged in a 52 bulb just to take a little chill off.

I haven't read this whole thread, but it looks like you all are working on Mille Fleur Cochin bantams? Do you know of anyone with large-fowl Mille Fleur Cochins? I need one or two for a color project in Faverolles!

Thanks!

Kathleen

Quote:
I'm guessing you weren't born in this area of the country, that's called sleet, or at least sleet like conditions. It is the worst possible weather for animals and it's what I always have in mind when I build my coops, runs and shelters for any kind of animal. I've seen people leave horses out in it, and many horses given there choice will leave a barn to go stand in it because they prefer being outside, but I won't allow it. I've been late coming home and gone out to drag those "outside" mares in and they'll be standing there shivering, but won't come in on their own. As I said, I don't give them the choice. I think chickens are even stranger. I have very small coops that are lightly insulated so they can all huddle up together and the area is small that they have to warm up. The other night I rearranged the plastic under one of their coops and put some clips on it to snug it up, they haven't been the same since. They won't go in their coop on their own. When I go out to close them up, they all perch outside the coop, huddled up together. Of course it's the roosters fault, he's all freaked out about those clips, so now I'm having to pick him up and set him at the door and prod him to go in, then the girls follow. I've heard lots of people say, "They'll go in when they get cold." Well, I disagree. It has been down in the single digits at night, plus there are possums and raccoons that could break into the runs. We are our animals keepers. I'm sure I'm a fuss budget, but I need my sleep and that is the only way when I lay down at night I can shut my eyes and do that without laying there and worrying about all the things that are going wrong out there with my animals while I'm safe, warm and toasty in my bed.
I feel for you trying to deal with this weather. This is by far the worse winter we've had since I was a young kid and I'm 61, so that's saying something. I'm going to guess you got some of those freezing spells even before these snow storms. I was done with winter then, long before the snow hit. The scary part is, it's not over! There are a couple more storms coming through, small though, but it's only the first of February. I remember years in Ohio that some of our heaviest snows hit in March!
So far I haven't lost any animals yet, but frankly at times they aren't the ones I'm worried about.
sickbyc.gif
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom