Mille Cochin Info

I know were talking about getting a lavender rooster from you.

I have mille fleur eggs in the incubator. And I might just be interested in trading.
wink.png

I thought it would be fun to share my little group with everyone. All of my birds came from Lynne, either as eggs or as young pullets. Everyone is growing and coloring up so nicely. I also have a growing collection of roosters that I having been crossing on the hens just to see what I can get. My first chicks have been hatching over the past two weeks and I can't wait to see what kind of colors they end up with. So far I have had a good number of yellow chicks, two chipmunk colored chicks, a bunch of rust colored chicks and one yellow chick with a strange grey racing stripe from tip to tail.

Here are some of my hens

Charlotte

as a chick

IMG_9973.jpg

now

IMG_0916.jpg

Penny

as a chick

IMG_9934.jpg

now

IMG_0915.jpg

Annie

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

Nadia

IMG_0857.jpg

Naomi

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

I hatched out three roosters. Two are mostly mottled with Ben having only a smidge of red and Le Fleur having a good number of dark red streaks and spots coming in. I hope they get more as they get older.

Ben

as a chick

IMG_9930.jpg

now

IMG_0926.jpg

Le Fleur

as a chick

IMG_9935.jpg

now

IMG_0920.jpg

Ben and Le Fleur

IMG_0895.jpg

The other rooster, Desmond, started off mostly white but took a serious turn somewhere along the way. At some point he turned almost solid red with only a hint of white. I started to get really worried that he wouldn't amount to much. Slowly more and more white started to appear and now I am super excited about how he is progressing.

Desmond

chick

IMG_9976.jpg

a few months ago

( he is the one standing closest to the camera )

IMG_0909.jpg

( on the far right )

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Desmond on 5-8-10

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the new chicks yet but I will be sure to take some in the next few days.

Annie, Nadia, and Naomi are currently in with this rooster, I call him Horace

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I have a dozen of Lynne's chicks that I hatched about 6 weeks ago, it's great to see what everyone's birds look like as they mature. I feel like I'm peeking under the wrapper of a present on Christmas Eve.

I'm kinda worried about two of my cochin chicks though. One of them seems to not be able to focus on things very well. There's maybe something wrong with his inner ear? At first I thought he was just a silly little bird but it has become apparent that something is wrong. When he first hatched he would spin in circles, clockwise and counter. He doesn't really do that anymore but his head sorta wobbles like he can't focus. We call him Dizzy. He doesn't complain and he can play, eat and drink alright. He does miss the waterer often when he goes to drink but he manages even with his bad aim. This is definitely a problem Dizzy was born with but luckily he's not bothered too much by it. I'm not as worried about him as I am my other little cochin. The other one has an abnormally fast heartbeat and doesn't like to stand up. I've checked her legs for injury but she doesn't have any as far as I can tell and she's not in any pain. She can stand and walk but she does so in a very odd manner and never for very long. It's her little frantic heartbeat I'm worried about...

Has anyone ever experienced something like this in their birds? I know this is probably a more appropriate question for the Emergencies section and I'll try there if nobody knows but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here because they are MFC.

Thanks,
Alex

Chickenlittle, wasn't buying started birds the best thing you ever did! Congrats on your eggies.

Alex, I have never heard of that. The only thing I can think of is some bacteria penetrated the shell and caused some sort of damage or something else freakish??? Hopefully, it'll grow out of it.

La Unica, I absolutely love Naomi and Charlotte... I always like the darker mille hens and, it seems, the ones that display the partridgey feathers early, later become the most beautifully marked girls. Congrats and thanks for showing the before and after. Would you mind if I used those pics on my mille progression page. You can click the link on my sig. line to check it out.

Here are some updated photos of our 2010 babies.
These are chicks from the birds that I got last summer.
This little hen is 2 months old, she looked very much like the chick in the next photo when she was smaller.
100510063226.jpg

This chick is 4 weeks old, I think is a hen
100510063120.jpg

This little fellow is almost one week old
100510062840.jpg

This guy is 4 weeks old, I think is a roo
100510063024.jpg

I have some more of my own and a batch of Lynn's eggs in the incubator now, fingers crossed, I haven't been getting very big hatch rates this year.

Everyone's birds are looking so good. I can't believe the progress we have made over the last year. I agree with Patty, that the cushions are starting to be huge...especially the chicks from my Bridget.

18946_cushions_bridgets_chicks_002.jpg

18946_cushions_bridgets_chicks_003.jpg

18946_cushions_bridgets_chicks_001.jpg

Actually, I am seeing more improvement in my cockerels (as far as coloring & pattern) than my pullets. I am not experiencing as much excess black as I did last year. Also the type (although not the type we see in show cochins) has really progressed. I have high hopes for the chicks that I will hatch this fall. Congrats to everyone on all the hard work....it shows
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom