Mille Cochin Info

If you like the daddy and don't mine little cookie cutters just like him, go ahead and cross the daughters back. As for crossing mille x mottled, doesn't matter who is the roo or hen. Just one x the other, either way. I do it both ways. Mottled roo (x mille) over mille hens, or Mille roo over mottled hens that are x mille. Every mille I have ever produced has come from a mille crossed with mottled x mille pairing. Every singe one. I don't have a straight mille pen yet. My typiest roo is mottled, so I can only use him on mille hens. My mottled and mottled x mille hens are in with a mille roo. That way I know every single black chick is at least split to mille. I suppose I could put the mille hens with the mille roo, but he is not the best roo for them, so I don't.

yuckyuck.gif

Don't ya be tempting me now...................

Quote:
C'mon over Maggie, I'm usually here! And if not, I guess you can have your pick!
wink.png

I sold my mille fleur cochin flock
sad.png
Just too valuable to sit here when I have no time to breed and no way to make them safe from hawk attacks for the next few weeks/months. I lost one of the young project pullets....stupid hawks...sold 3 pairs as a small breeding flock.

I did keep one rooster. His coloring is not quite right however he has GREAT chevrons and chest markings. His type is pretty decent too, although he was doing angry rooster posturing at me while I was in the rooster pen
roll.png
He is the dominant boy in the rooster pen and means business.....without being aggressive. He is just very full of himself LOL.

I do have a beautiful flock of nice and typey black mottled girls and 1 blue mottled girl (GREAT type).......plus 2 black mottled boys and 1 blue mottled boy. Anywho, I plan on crossing my mille guy over all the black mottled girls very early spring....should be able to cross the babies back to him or a better mille rooster by fall/winter, I hope.

Check out his chest markings. The well marked feathers even extend to his feet? Haven't seen that before...not sure its correct, but it sure is neat looking.

downsized_0909001909a.jpg

Pretty sharp over the breast area. That is where a lot of mine fizzle out. Better over the back and wings, and sparse on the chest. Sorry you are having so much trouble. Sometimes it is just too hard. Gotta pull back and tighten up to just a few and press ahead when you have time, $ and space to tackle it again. I can certainly see why you kept that roo. Hope you do great in the spring. I didn't get a good look at your mottles, but if I were you, I'd take this time to find the most Kick Butt show quality mottled cochins you could get your mitts on in the meantime. I mean killer diller, super duper, DUPER hens. You will be WAY ahead.

Has anyone spent any time documenting or keeping track of how/why the hackle black gene is surfacing in their flocks? If so, is it arising from the e+ (wild duckwing), eWh (wheaton), or eb (brown) chicks, and what do the sire and dam look like?

Or reversely, for those that don't have the hackle black gene in their flocks, what is the down color of your chicks?

I know a couple of breeders were focusing on trying to eliminate the hackle black gene while maintaining the chest chevrons, but I haven't read of anyone speaking directly about it lately.

Last edited:
re: Hackle black

This rooster was one I hatched from Tate's eggs.....he was one of 4 boys, 3 had the black hackles, 1 had the red hackles and BEST coloring by far. even had good chest mottling. Best type too. I gave him to Danny in GA when he lost his rooster to the heat a while back.........where's the pix Danny?
wink.png

Here is an old pix of him. He is and/or WILL BE a superstar mille roo. He has the most correct mille coloring I've seen on one in a while. He was young in this picture and looking at something....actually had pretty decent type, better than the black hackled guy I kept.

24277_mille21.jpg

I'm curious how he has turned out since Danny got him. Daaaaaaaaannnyyyyyy.......

RE: Mottled cochins

I don't think I have posted any pix of my mottled girls here. I have a show quality mottled rooster and had NO hens so have been slowly collecting them over the last few months. I have 2 hatchery girls who will probably stay with my layers even though they are not bad at all
smile.png
1 young girl that is hard to tell on so far, but looks "decent". Plus 1 adult who is Greaaaaaat and another teenager who is great as well. Plus 1 more.....I can't remember. They all spread themselves out and I can't remember which is which. I need to go ahead and band them.

I believe my "adult" girl who is Greaaaaaaaat is a Jaime Matts hen. I bought her from someone else and can't remember what they said.

Not sure where my rooster came from. He is a jerk and I am his 3rd or 4th owner, I think. LOVE the little monster though. He recently recovered from a near death rooster rumble experience and is going through his 2nd molt and looks horrible. From what I hear he made huge changes between "teenage years" and after his first molt. I am hoping his improvement continues.

Here is a pic of the little monster. I may go ahead and cross him over the "awesome" girl now to get some more younguns that will be ready for breeding next year. Love my mottleds!
love.gif

24277_0217001922a.jpg

downsized_0407001836.jpg

I can't find any decent photos of my girls, so will have to hunt them down. Other than the 1 girl, they are all young and coming up on point of lay (except for the blue and 1 black who are even younger)

Last edited:
NellaBean's flock didn't go very far..it's in my yard
wee.gif
so she can get more without paying shipping later on down the road if she wants more. I have a hard time parting with any of my cochins though. Then I added two adorable leaning towards calico chicks from Camelot Farm...now if I can get my neighbor to part with a few
fl.gif
I'm still wanting to get some eggs or birds from Nancy..never too many cochins in a yard
I really like the calico better but the Millie sure is pretty as well.

Back
Top Bottom