Mille Cochin Info

You all have beautiful birds! I have a pet mille rooster named Albert who came from Lynne originally, and now I am expecting 5 new babies from Shy tonight or tomorrow! I cant wait! Thanks Shy!

I hope so. Albert is not a breeding bird, but he is so sweet and makes us smile so he will be with us forever! I am hoping that the new babies are a great start to our mille project!

I have a couple cockerels and a few hens for sale. The cockerel is from Lynne's hen to Tom's roo and will have decent type. His color is really nice.. high white but nice. One pullet is from that same cross and will be nicer patterned. I also have a roo from Tom and a couple of nicely marked mille hens.

Please pm me if you're interested and I'll send pics. Im asking $20 per bird. I don't have any boxes at the moment so... was hoping for pick up. If you want shipped, I'll have to order a box and charge $50 shipping

Got a question! I was looking over my first year group of mille cochins tonight and find that the cutest little cockerel with nice mille pattern has his outside toes folded under. I haven't had a problem with feet on the chicks we've hatched, and none of the other MFs are affected. The other cockerels don't have nearly the nice coloring he has. Do I dare use him? Has anyone had any experience with this type of foot? I guess I am asking if this is heredity or environment. Any ideas/suggestions?

Why not use him and see? If any of his babies have that, cull them. Keep the good ones. There should be a few good ones, even if it is genetic. Doesn't hurt to try.
wink.png

Quote:
In my experience, the folded toe is due to webbing being tight between the toes. Sometimes the way they are positioned in the egg cramps the foot & the toe naturally curls under. Then if the webbing is excessive, it continues to pull the toe inward.

When I check feet & find this problem, I clip the webbing between the toes & then position the foot on a strip of adhesive tape to keep the toes separate while healing. I put another piece of tape on the top & trim like a little pancake boot. I know your cockerel is older so this might not work for you but I don't think you should cull him as, IMO, it is a hatching problem & not genetic.

Quote:
In my experience, the folded toe is due to webbing being tight between the toes. Sometimes the way they are positioned in the egg cramps the foot & the toe naturally curls under. Then if the webbing is excessive, it continues to pull the toe inward.

When I check feet & find this problem, I clip the webbing between the toes & then position the foot on a strip of adhesive tape to keep the toes separate while healing. I put another piece of tape on the top & trim like a little pancake boot. I know your cockerel is older so this might not work for you but I don't think you should cull him as, IMO, it is a hatching problem & not genetic.

I did tape his feet when he was first hatched, but didn't consider that the webbing was the problem. I used paper medical tape—it is not too sticky, water soluble and makes a nice little foot sandwich. I don't think I have anything much to lose, I just have a lot of combinations I want to try. I am very happy with the "grandchickies" I hatched from your eggs last year. I'll post a photo soon!

Here are two pullets from July:
12082_mf_pullets_buffmf.jpg

Last edited:
I have been so incredibly busy getting my home-based business started up (I've still got a LONG way to go) that I didn't even realize that I haven't received any notifications of activity on this ~ or the Cochin thread ~ for ages! I wonder what's up with that?!

Last night I got my first update from the Cochin thread and this morning I got this one. I guess I just thought the lists were quiet. Now I'll have to go back and see what I have MISSED!

I hope this finds everyone well and enjoying their beautiful cochins...

36635_signaturehtml.png

Howdy Ya'll!

I love all the MFBC eye candy on this thread. Everyone's birds are coming along so nicely!

We have two hens that we are considering selling to the right home. They are just over a year old and are absolute dolls! They are almost identical... we call them 'the beans'.

We hate to see them leave but are trying to make some room somewhere... please pm if anyone is interested or has any questions.

Happy Chicken Mama

1707_107.jpg

Back
Top Bottom