Mille Cochin Info

Quote:
We have a little yellow chick from Lynne's eggs too. I hope it turns out to be a beautiful pullet like yours. It's only a week old so I have no idea what it is yet. Out of 12 babies this was the only yellow. The others were variations on chipmunk and black.
66241_little_yellow_001.jpg

Here is my planned cross for next year.

Mille Fleur cochin rooster to the left in this picture. (wind was ruffling his tail feathers)

24277_downsized_1218001458a.jpg

And my blue mottled cochin girl.

24277_1218001453.jpg

I think they will make some interesting babies! I am hoping, when crossed back to the mille or a better mille if I get one.....I will get some great milles.....

Quote:
We have a little yellow chick from Lynne's eggs too. I hope it turns out to be a beautiful pullet like yours. It's only a week old so I have no idea what it is yet. Out of 12 babies this was the only yellow. The others were variations on chipmunk and black.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/66241_little_yellow_001.jpg

Cute! Now if you could just wake her up and make her stick her little butt up like her sister's! She looks sooooo sleeeeeeepyy......

I feather sexed those 3 chicks and I was right! I wish I had been as accurate with the BLRWs!

Last edited:
Quote:
MFC's are feather sexable? I thought it was so complicated... you had to have a fast feathering bird x slow feathering bird... not that anyone could tell whaich breeds qualified as either. I didn't even try to feather sex my little Splash x MF cochin chick as a result
sad.png
She (i hope) hatched 12/3... too late?

Quote:
MFC's are feather sexable? I thought it was so complicated... you had to have a fast feathering bird x slow feathering bird... not that anyone could tell whaich breeds qualified as either. I didn't even try to feather sex my little Splash x MF cochin chick as a result
sad.png

It's supposed to be done in the first four days. After that everyone looks like they have 2 rows of feathers to me! I will have to keep track with the hatches coming up to see if I think I get what I think I had . . .

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/66241_little_yellow_001.jpg

Cute! Now if you could just wake her up and make her stick her little butt up like her sister's! She looks sooooo sleeeeeeepyy......

I feather sexed those 3 chicks and I was right! I wish I had been as accurate with the BLRWs!

I was fussing with the camera and she was tiring of me. Lynne told me to watch for black on the feathers, a sign of the roo. So far so good. And the little black chicks are most likely boys according to her. Didn't know I could feather sex. Too late now. I'll just have to wait.

Quote:
sad.png

It's supposed to be done in the first four days. After that everyone looks like they have 2 rows of feathers to me! I will have to keep track with the hatches coming up to see if I think I get what I think I had . . .

Yup, that's what I thought. Bummer!
Well, I will know to try next hatch
big_smile.png

Quote:

Yup, that's what I thought. Bummer!
Well, I will know to try next hatch
big_smile.png

I feather-sexed my first hatch last year at 2-3 days, saw very definite single and double rows - they were clearly visible - just like all the pics and video show. As added surety, I gave them very feminine and masculine names, respectively.

I ended up with some very gender-confused birds!!!

has anyone gotten a bird this color from the MF, at first I thought it was a chick from my barred cochins, but no he is from the MF. he's got a MF colored feather in his neck, all my stock has come from lynne, i have not added any.

19130_100_1543.jpg

19130_100_1547.jpg

Quote:
Are you "sure" that it isn't from your Barred Cochin group? The reason I ask is that I have "exactly" the same coloring in my Black Barred split to Buff cochins crossed with my Buff Barred roo. I will get pics later today so that you can see. I've never had this color in any of my MFC. But then who knows what will crop up.
smile.png
I just got my first "blue" chick from a MFC egg. Can't wait to see what happens with this little one.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom