Mille Cochin Info

Hi Charlie!
Is that a chick from my eggs? I do have blue floating in some of mine. If so it would have been from Dan the Man or maybe Wizard but Wizard hasn't thrown that pattern before. Dan might depending on who I had with him at the time but I have not gotten a chick marked like that so far.

Anyhow, to answer your question, she has a great head and chest and if all other parts are great by the time she is 6-8 months old I would not get rid of her. So far I have not kept anything with blue showing on the feathers to breed on. But if the body is put together very well and the color is satisfactory, I would use her even with blue. I just would not cross her with another that has blue. Some folks like blue in the MF but it isn't something that will be able to be shown for quite a few years, if ever.
It really depends on what you are working towards. She may be one to put aside for a year or so and do some test matings from some spectacular roos next year to see what you get. Again, depends on what you absolutely want in the end or what you are willing to work with.

You took an excellent photo. I see her quite well. No complaints on this end from your photography!

Charlie, that looks like mine. I have lots of them and the ones in the backrground look familiar too. looks like she's getting nice type. I wouldn't call that "blue" It's more of a smokey down undercoat that never really materializes in the finished color of the bird. ..so, it's not the "blue" gene or all of its black would also be blue
wink.png
I remember the first time I hatched birds from Lynne.. I emailed her and thought she must have mistakenly sent me MF X Lemon blue mixes
lol.png
She was gracious and sweet and explained it well. I have a partridge hen Im using to evenly distribute pattern. Mine are getting lots of white tips. The black isn't really a chevron but, it's there. I would put her to one of those two boys in the back (I can tell just by their markings because I have a bunch of them too) and you should get some very nice birds. Please keep us posted with pics as they mature.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me where to find the SOP for the Mille Fleur color?? (other than by buying the book!)

This is what I found at a quick search from Feathersite and The Poultry Guide site on MF coloring.
Anyone correct me or expand on the description, please.

"The Mille Fleur pattern consists of a ground color of mahogany, with each feather marked with a crescent shaped bar of black and tipped with a V-shaped white spangle. The true coloring does not usually appear until the first adult molt."

From the SOP (without going into the patterning):

Males:
Head - Brilliant light orange vermillion
Neck - Hackle - Brilliant light orange vermillion; Front of Neck - same as breast
Back - Brilliant light orange vermillion
Saddle - Same as hackle
Tail - Black
Wings - Shoulders & Fronts - same as breast; Bows - rich light orange vermillion; Coverts - deep bay
Breast - Golden Bay
Body & Stern - Body - same as breast; Stern - fluff, slaty buff
Lower Thighs - Same as breast
Undercolor - Slate, shading to slaty buff

Females:
Head - Rich golden buff
Neck - Hackle - rich golden buff; Front of Neck - same as breast
Back - Rich golden buff
Tail - Main tail - dull black; top two feathers with some buff; coverts - same as back
Wings - Shoulders, fronts and bows - same as back
Breast - same as back
Body & Stern - Body - same as breast; Stern - fluff, slaty buff
Lower thighs - same as breast
Undercolor - Medium slate, shading to pale salmon

Nadine, thanks so much for answering my questions. She is from one of Msbear's (Erin) eggs. I have 3 chicks from Xavier and 1 from Dan the man, I don't have a good picture uploaded yet. I really respect your opinion. You have done an awesome job with your Cochins. I know the color will change over the coming months. I will give her and the others plenty of time to see how they shape up. Thanks again.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom