Quote:
Split wing? SPLIT WING?

<-------Genny passes out.
th.gif

Not even something I had considered
hit.gif
- I feel so foolishly stupid (instead of smartly stupid
gig.gif
). I had heard of it in Silkies, but not other breeds, I don't know why and I never even thought of it in cochins.

barnie.gif
double
barnie.gif
off to research and molest my birds. I am going to tell them it is all your fault Cowgirlgrace, yup all your fault (I am kidding, it is not all your fault
lau.gif
)

OK - what else might I be missing?
old.gif
Helps me peeps. Type, short back, full fluff, color, split wing (I keep thinking spit wing), leg color, weight.

I posted about split wing about 2 months back.

There were a few of mine I culled because of that. I find it in my whites so look for it in my other varieties. My Mottleds have not shown any tendency to throw this but it can show up anytime, imho, in bantam Cochins. Of course, when you hatch out hundreds and start looking for those best typed birds with good color and pattern you will find everything else you need to cull for!
th.gif

OMG! He turned out great!
I have got to get back on track with that breeding. But I have too many projects going and let that one fall to the side. I really want to do the calico with Frizzles.

He looks like a fireworks explosion! Maybe something along that line for a name.

Quote:
Gosh, thought I'd been keeping up but must have missed that. Was their much discussion about it? Can you by any chance fine that post? I did a search and couldn't find it. Most the posts I did find referred to Silkies. Would like to hear from other Mille breeders who are culling for this. Most good Silkie breeders cull everything with split wing. Gosh, we have so few good birds to work with it would be really hard have to cull a nicely patterned typey bird just for split wing but from what I've read it's not a fault, its a disqualification.

Well, I spent a good chunk of the day yesterday researching slit wing.

And some of it makes me more confused.

Most all on BYC is about silkies. Hattricksilkies has a good website that talks about it, but the photos are of silkie wings - and they just look nothing like my birds wings.

Most recommend not to cull early, as molting birds can appear to have split wing. What is a good age then to judge this for culling? I know large fowl take 18 to 24 months before they are fully grown. How long for our bantams?

It is recessive, so both parents have to carry at least one gene for it (so a parent can have a split wing gene and not show it), so what I read was to cull the offspring AND parents who might be carry it. Plus birds can have one wing split or both.

I do not think my birds have it.

My wings look like this - with the natural break between primary and secondary feathers and the shorter axial feather:

31162_33115_wspec.jpg

Not like this - taken from a Marans site that was translated to english:

31162_splitwing.jpg

http://www.marans.eu/genetiqa.htm

Nor like this drawing:
31162_split_n_twisted_feather.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of their split wing cochin - so I can look at it? I will post some pictures of my wings when I can, so you all can tell me if you think I have split wing going on.

I will try to get a photo of a split wing today. I have a few pet birds with it. And they are Cochins.
wink.png

There wasn't much discussion on split wing. I think I said something about it and either Erin or Gail answered something and that was it. It may have been on the Cochin thread instead of this one but I visit this one a lot more so I figure it was here. And my MFC have been found with it so when I had to cull them for that I mentioned it.

I thought both parents had to carry it as well but poultry genetics still befuddle me on occasion. There is too much to learn at once so I still have a hard time remembering a lot of it.

I find it in ones around 6-8 months old because that is when I start looking over the wings. I have seen it on 4 months olds when they stretch out and recorded it only to have it disappear by 8 months when I think they should go in the freezer or be sold as a pet. So I do believe I catch some of mine in the middle of a molt and do not look closely enough.

Split wing is just another one of those things you have on your evaluation list. Some things can be seen right after hatch, some things develop a bit later and can be watched while some things throw you right when you think you have the perfect addition to your breeding program.

Great post on split wing, HFNV. I, myself, haven't been checking my birds too closely for that but, I guess I should be.

Here are a few of my babies growing up to be big boys and girls. I have really suffered in the pattern dept but, I have some decent birds coming up to put back to the parent birds which I think will give more pattern.

Here are a two of my pretty little partridge cross pullets.
117.jpg

036.jpg

I also have a few pullets like this that I call "split for type" and they have a nice typed mother and a nice patterned father
112-1.jpg

I have a couple of boys from that mating as well and plan to keep two in an attempt to hold on to pattern somewhat
147-1.jpg

047-2.jpg

093.jpg

I hope I get a better black mottled looking boy with a breast like that to put on all these light girls.. we'll see

This boy is the result of a buff columbian crossed with a black mottled hen with brassy hackles
053.jpg
..look like dad much?
tongue.png

I am putting him back to his momma

Here's a boy that is from a male I sold earlier this spring. He's been producing some nice looking babies so I'm glad I wound up with a spittin' image
wink.png

151.jpg

I have two or three pure buff columbian pairs if anyone is looking for type improvement. I also have two other males that were split to a black mottled that are identical the cockerel in the 2nd photo from the bottom. And, I have 4 or 5 boys that look like this bottom boy for you calico lovers. I will probably be ready to ship here in another month.

Last edited:
Beautiful birds!
OMG, now this split wing thing has got me headed for the coop to check everyone! Another thing to keep looking for, as if I didn't have enough!
I started with the chickens thinking it would be a break from all the thought and all I put into my ponies breeding program. I am very very picky about them. Thought the chickens wouldn't be so much so. But its heading the same way. Ahhhh, maybe I just need a vacation instead, lol.

Back
Top Bottom