Mille Cochin Info

My posts always confuse me when I reread them
lol.png
You guys know what I mean!!
tongue.png

You know I want to help make these APA/ABA approved. But, yeah, I want some yard candy, too. You and I seem to have the same issue - impatient. I want to get some of my own breeding stock buff columbians and mottled for this cause. I did pick up two black mottled, lavender and a blue (possibly mottled) down at your place. The lav and blue died. The mottleds are both roos and are ugly little 6wk olds (hardly any feathering and I dubbed them the Ostriches). I am hoping one of them is typey for breeding - they are supposed to be from SQ stock. I am still lacking the BCs though.

So, basically what you are saying though, is that what I have I can't improve on? I thought if I bred them to a mottled of good type, I'd get good type and hopefully color. Or another MFC that's typey and has more melanin.

Please excuse the quality of the pictures. I ran out before it got totally dark to get some pics quickly.

82238_miltonmildredmillie1.jpg

82238_mildred1.jpg

82238_millie2.jpg

82238_milton1.jpg

Mildred is the one with a couple of chest flowers.

They need black so.. buff columbian would further hinder any color progress. I think mottled is your best bet for that trio. While you're outcrossing, you don't want to waste any time (like years) on mediocre mottleds at a swap. I would hunt down the best from either Jamie Matts or someone that wins with them at shows pretty regularly. The difference in type between what some call show quality stock and actual prize winning cochins can be quite drastic.

But, you need to think ahead. Once you have that next generation, you need to have options. Putting them back will destroy any type you've gained. Putting them together will give you more of the same.. maybe some color improvement. ...so.. I would also get the bc's and cross them with the mottleds at the same time. Now you have things moving forward in both type and color and will have the option of crossing the better typed birds with excellent typed birds that now have slightly better pattern and won't destroy what pattern you've created..

They did turn out very pretty. I can tell the slight difference in type by the tooshies on the darker pullet and the cockerel from the above photo. Maybe Mildred's tail is squished but, she looks like she has a point back there.

eta: If you ever shop cochins online, always ask for the aerial photo. That angle can show the width of the bird that can be hard to judge by the side profile.

Last edited:
I really wanted to get to Crossroads, but there is no way we can do that... Unless... Had an idea and need to check out details.
So, I am reduced to buy hatching eggs and hoping I will get something good from them.

I am not trying to be pushy.. just trying to help you by learning from my mistakes. Hatching eggs won't guarantee much.. they can't even guarantee a hatch
roll.png
Ask me how I know
lol.png
Not only that, you have to wait nine more months and feed a bird for nine months to get them to breeding age. Once at breeding age, the 3 you managed to hatch out may not have the qualities you want to waste 3 more years on.. ya know. Buy a started bird. You will be much more satisfied and the overall cost will not be much more.. honestly. The last of culls will be taking place this fall. Good breeders have already culled for DQ's and obvious defects. They will be culling off their not so good birds now and in then the best will go right before Winter. And, good breeder's are not in it for the money. I know a few whom sell NICE birds for 20-30 bucks each. ...so, you could do that or contact a breeder near you and ask which shows they'll be attending this fall. There may be one near you. Just trying to save you some frustration.. that's all
cool.png

Here are some "show quality" bantam cochins I found online. http://gff.cochinsrule.com/blackb.htm This is what we're shooting for. If you don't use a bird that looks something like this, then there is no way to achieve something like this. Some believe you can line breed for type. Type is so hard to improve on. From the birds we all have, that would take... over 300 generations... maybe 600.. maybe nore Basically, not in your lifetime.

Last edited:
frow.gif

I haven't posted on this thread yet. I've just been reading it and looking at all your beautiful babies
love.gif

I finally added some MF Bantie cochins to my flock this past fall and spring. I'm not good at taking pictures but, what do you all think of the few I posted?

61583_mf_bantie_cochin_dob_5111.jpg

61583_bantie_cochin_group_shot_8411.jpg

61583_mf_bantie_cochin_group_shot_may_2011_hatches.jpg

Thank you,
Beth
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom