Mille Cochin Info

Beth G. :

Thank you
smile.png

Do you think that my light pullet has too much white?
Quote:

I think (not 100%) as far as the Standard of Perfection definition for pattern, a mille fleur bird should have a buff background color with a black crescent spangle or "V" and a white tip on each feather. I believe every 3rd feather and not EVERY feather should have the pattern.. so, maybe your birds isn't "too white" but lacks more ground color and black chevrons where the completely white feathers are. I wouldn't be to critical of her... with MFC, as we've been discussing, there are bigger fish to fry
smile.png

Ok.. I went out and took some photos for someone else who was thinking of doing a little shopping so I have a few more to post

older boys . .I am giving away most of these today to a fella who wants them for lawn ornaments.
009-6.jpg

I am keeping the lighter "calico" ones for a bit longer if anyone wants them. I will probably post them tonight or this weekend.
078.jpg

grow out
029-2.jpg

I also have this girl.
038-1.jpg

I was originally going to sell her with a "calico" looking male as a pair but, I think I need her type. Those light ones are turning out to be my best ones.

..also have a few buff columbian cross males with white tips. will be listing them to. If anyone is interested, they are $20 plus actual shipping for the boys.
030-3.jpg

Now cut that out! My keyboard is all wet!
droolin.gif

I just adore you Calicos! But they all look VERY nice indeed. It is so nice to get my head out of my pens and look at others. How totally gorgeous your birds are, as always!

In your grow out pen, it looks like they are drinking out of 1 gallon jugs. Is that something you made for water? The reason I ask is I am always looking for a better watering container or ideas on how to improve some of mine. It looks like your birds are drinking out of one but the water level also looks to be higher than where they would be drinking from.

I am so sick of every time I go to set a waterer down the stupid thing falls apart! I have been cutting down some milk jugs or juice containers looking for a better solution but they are sometimes collapsing on themselves or they don't hold as much as I would like. When you have to fill almost 50 waterers a day there has to be a better way.
idunno.gif

I can't do automatic as I have 27 mobile pens all over the farm. And often 8 brooders going, not to mention the stationary pens and coops.

Amy, if you ever see anything you like, holla! We can definitely work something out
wink.png

As for the drinkers... I got sick and tired of cleaning out waterers and replacing cracked or frozen ones so I took the idea from my dad who's used milk jugs since the beginning of time for his pigeons. What you think is the water level line is in fact where I cut it. I cut a large half circle up and back down and cut straight around the side until it meets with the other cuts to make a nice sized hole for the birds to stick their head into. Leave enough depth to get a good amount of water in there and BOOM waterer. The downside is it doesn't hold a lot but, the upside is they are easy to fill.. dip in the water trough or fill with buckets and, when they get dirty, just bust out a new one. I like them too because they have handles... so I can carry 4 at a time to the water spicket.

My husband installed a rain barrel this spring and it is awesome. When Im on that side of the chicken yard, I fill up there. We are in the process of building a banty barn and are pondering an automatic system using the rain barrels (use black to deter algae)

My problem is loving the roosters! And yours have always made me drool over them. You are definitely my "go to" person when I want a roo.
However, I have 5 right now and need to sell someone to make room for another but don't know who to give up. I am sure it will have to be Schmoozle at some point because I won't really even need him to cross back on but for now I am still hatching from him. I have been looking Xavier over to see if I can let him go but nope, I still like him too much. He has yet to produce a son better than he is but we are still hatching so I will see how it goes. I really don't need Dan the Man but he is in with Frizzle girls and so far no one has realized what a handsome guy he is. His type is awesome but he throws blues so I don't use him in my MF project anymore.
I will have to move someone out so I can get one of your handsome boys in here. I always just have fits when you post photos of them!
smile.png

I love the gallon jug waterer! I use that for my ducklings and chicks will use them fine but like you say it doesn't hold as much.
Funny you should say fill from the trough as I have a wagon I pull around the farm that holds 2 5 gallon buckets of water and that is what I dip water out of at all the tractors and some pens. I also fill 5 gallon buckets near the barn and dip from them so I don;t have to turn the water hose on and off. The spray nozzles are okay but a pain for me to take on and off when I am filling duck pools so i fill buckets and it makes my job so much easier! Not as great as automatic waterers but I can't have it all.
hmm.png

I saw the cost of my water and feeder containers last year when my accountant ran the numbers and realized I could be saving a lot more money with just using my trash articles. I drink a lot of juice and DH drinks a lot of milk. I usually store water in all the good topped ones but the snap on tops are getting thrown away quite often. NO MORE! I will be using these from now on. Thanks for another great inspiration.
big_smile.png

Do you think you will have any at your fall 'stock? I'm going to come down and hope that guy who had the Cochin pairs for sale in June will be there. I am hoping Peachick and Tammy will be there, too... I need some LF Cochin pullets to keep that cockerel I got from Tammy company.
wink.png

I understand what you mean about just getting the show stock now, Erin. I seem to live in the worst place ever to have chickens, though. If I was out in western PA, oh, the options would be vast. I don't really want to pay a huge fortune in shipping birds if I can help it. Of course, in some cases, it may be cheaper than the driving (if only getting a couple of birds compared to 10+ at a 'stock). I started looking for birds last night after your first post about it. We'll see what I can find!

Out of the 4 mf eggs I placed in the bator. One hatched. And it looks like my mf duccle did as a baby, color wise. I'm sooo hoping that's a good sign lol

Back
Top Bottom