Split: (this was the DQ)
48881_img_4401.jpg

Split:
48881_img_4403.jpg

Weak:
48881_img_4406.jpg

growing out:
48881_img_4404.jpg

IF I didn't have much to work with in my breeding pens, I would totally use the pullet with the weak wing.. AS LONG as her man has strong wings and other very desirable traits. Otherwise, that weak wing trait is in your line..and can be hard to get rid of. In my whites my 4 hopefuls are all feathering in great. The rooster had the weakish wing, the hen had lighter eyes. So far, they have given me better than themselves. In the parents the rooster has great eye color, and the hen has great wings. I wanted to see how things turned out with that particular pairing, I was experimenting to see how the whole genetics thing played out.. Next season I will put offspring back on parents or a grandparent and see what happens too.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, my hens are lighter than the Roos. They are not super light, I would say medium. I have no Calicos. Should I keep some Calicos from eggs I bought from Nancy's line to breed with? Would the Calicos go better than my "Junupp" and "Mandy" (see website)? I made up the name "Tidy Bowl Man" b/c I have a wacky sense of humor and I thought it was funny. It just came to me one night. HaHa. I named the "Zohan" after the movie "You Don't Mess With The Zohan".
lol.png

If anyone is looking for mille hatching eggs im getting a bunch.And for those that didnt know I aquired all of Nancy Krohns stock and I have the exact same birds set up in my breeding pen as she did.I just sent eggs to fattie so we will see how they turn out.

Jbear, Thanks for the wing photos! and all your knowledge of the split wing. Oh, and Solo is doing great.

I know the older the better when checking for split wing but I have some 6-8 week old Mille/ Mottled splits out of the Black Mottled roo from Canada you found for me. I hatched way too many and would like to start culling about half. Will split wing be obvious in some? at that age, what else can I cull for. So hard to tell what the cushions will look like. And they are not exactly filled out at that age. Wondering if there are indications at that age what future type might be. Would it be safe to look for the biggest chests, ground clearance etc in comparison to their siblings? or do those things not show up much since they all would develop in their individual time. I'm not worried about color too much now since they are all black with chest white. Is there a mottling pattern that is better than another for using on Milles?

Anyone else culled at that age and what were you looking for? Wish I could raise them all up but just realizing I don't have the room.

Quote:
I have a bunch (10) young roos that I need to narrow down. They range from 8 to 5 mo. old. and the 5 to 6 mo. are still too young to tell much at all. I have more younger coming along behind them that are as young as 8 weeks so I am taking some wild gueses on a couple and parting with 4 of them this weekend.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom