Mille Cochin Info

She is stunning..........

I hope I am not over-stepping myself here (sorry if I am), but I have two hens who look like this - colorwise.

They are not Calicos and she does not look like one either. If you examine each of her feathers - each will have the base body color and then each has a black chevron and a white tip. It is just that the white tips are so very LARGE and sometimes the black so thinly marked. So it makes them look more "white feathered" but they actually are not.

They look like what I understand older (years and years old) MF D'Uccles look like - as their white tips grow in size as they age and molt.

Quote:

Quote:
I think she is beautiful! I would love to have some of mine turn out like that! I don't care if it is not what we are working towards for showing, I just want to have some that are that cool looking.
big_smile.png

I never get enough white on mine for that! I was hoping to have some and had gotten eggs from Nancy K but all those chicks that hatched out are dying while my own chicks hatched at the same time are doing fine. I don't get it but think I may not be able to get pretty looking birds like that on my farm. I will just have to keep breeding my own and hope I can get some that I can work with for that separate breeding pen.

Quote:

I didn't know what to call her so no worries here :) I just thought she was cute as a button LOL.... I will have to look at her feathers more closely and see if they are brown!

I think you may be right about changing coloring ect... When I was given her, she was 8 months old and alot more brown. She had a bunch of white feathers coming in on her neck and now she is 14 months and that color :)
Here is a picture of what her coloring was at 8 months old just to give you an idea of how much they change in 6 months....
65185_jill_8_months.jpg

Quote:

I didn't know what to call her so no worries here :) I just thought she was cute as a button LOL.... I will have to look at her feathers more closely and see if they are brown!

I think you may be right about changing coloring ect... When I was given her, she was 8 months old and alot more brown. She had a bunch of white feathers coming in on her neck and now she is 14 months and that color :)
Here is a picture of what her coloring was at 8 months old just to give you an idea of how much they change in 6 months....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65185_jill_8_months.jpg

Wow, can't wait to see if some of mine change like that too. Her type really filled out too.
yippiechickie.gif

Here's a pic of one of my girls who looks very similar to those already posted.

18946_fall_sale_mfc_006.jpg

She is the granddaughter of my Bridget who started me on this MFC journey.

18946_bridget_010.jpg

I've noticed that Bridget is getting more white as she ages. I love this color & I'm so glad others feel the same. I have two 4-month old pullets that will have the same coloring.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom