Mille Cochin Info

How old is this fella?

I have a few boys that I did not like last winter but now 9 months later they are some pretty awesome boys. I never could put them in the freezer because their type was almost there and the pattern is pretty close to what I need. I haven't bred them, they have just been living in the Muscovy pen all year. Very nice fellas, never fly out to bother the free ranging hens. They sit on the gate and talk about it, grumble that the Muscovy walk all over them and generally are just waiting for a new home or a breeding pen.

I pick them up, look them over, like them and put them back down in the pen. I have lots of extra girls I could put with them but no extra breeding pens nor do I want to add more breeding pens. I am over worked as it is.

I just wondered if your fella may be young enough that another molt may see him improved and filled out.

THe mfc roo is about 8 months, maybe 9. I do like his color pattern, I have difficulty obtaining black chevrons in breast. He's in with my best hens along with the below blue mottle roo of same age . Its such a difference in width/shape between the 2 males
17059_dsc06230.jpg
17059_dsc06225.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, at that age I guess what you see is what you get in type. I know you are excited to see how his kids turn out. That is the fun of a project. Seeing how much of a change each generation makes.

Well, its either late for the 2011 breeding season, or I'm really early for 2012! Regardless, here are my first hatches out of my own young flock. (Un-)Fortunately, they get to stay inside with me until the weather warms next Spring!

57046_8a_small.jpg

57046_7a_small.jpg

57046_10a_small.jpg

57046_9a_small.jpg

Am I correct in deciding that the first three are eb/eb and the last is likely eWh/eb (based upon down colors)? My likely pullet is eWh/eb and the Roo could be any combination of eb and/or eWh as I didn't hatch out one, but did the other (eb/eb).

Dave

Ok.. so I've sold off most of my milles and am down to two pens of keepers and a few growouts that may still surprise me.

I have my "super hen 10,000"
lol.png
which I am just soooooo in love with
028-1.jpg

024-2.jpg

039-1.jpg

Her mother was partridge and the father was buff columbian x mottled

AND, I have these two ladies
017-4.jpg

006-2.jpg

the one below has identical type as the one above though I didn't get a good shot of her.. and she has better, more distinct markings
055-4.jpg

and, here's the group shot from that pen
068.jpg

The rooster.. I am not in love with. I have two others coming along whom will probably outdo him and this guy
087-2.jpg

But, all in all.. there was definitely some progress made. I am very happy. It is slow but, it is there
frow.gif

So little BooBoo is 3 weeks old today. None of my other MF chicks have had this pattern at this age. Can anyone show me pics of what a chick like this will mature into? Also, any guesses yet as to BooBoo's sex? I'd really like to give this little one a real name!

40221_bb_11-9-11-1.jpg

40221_bb_11-9-11-2.jpg

40221_bb_11-9-11-5.jpg

The comb is noticeable but small. The eyeliner looks to be coming from under the eye. I am saying girl at this young age. All that dark color often makes me think boy but I have had dark girls.

Gail -

Based on my birds I'd expect something along this line:

57046_eb_development.jpg

This is my Bella from hatchling to adult.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom