Quote:
Erin,

They are beauties
love.gif
Thank you so much for sharing them
smile.png

I have also scaled back "a little"
lau.gif
I've become much more critical of my "keepers". Before, anything that had "spots" was special. Now they really have to have it all.... pattern, type, size & personality. I wasn't going to hatch this Winter but I had two little ones hatch last Sunday. I guess I didn't listen to myself
hide.gif

I can relate. I was trying to get my brooders empty for winter and I've got just two 8 week old pullets in the garage now but am already having "Chick Withdrawl".

withdrawls here too
tongue.png

smack.gif
What is wrong with you all!!! Think dust.. think poop.. think heat lights.. ALL WINTER!! Think about the windows being closed because it's so effin cold outside so.. all that poo and dust is going to cook and venture out into every crevasse of your existence !!

DON'T DO IT
duc.gif

hugs.gif
This is why we need each other.. to help when we're talking crazy talk.
lol.png

Quote:
I am planning on hatching a few very few chicks this winter if the right pullets start laying soon but will put the chicks in the barn
tongue.png
I close up the barn and put blankets over the brooder

As we continue work on developing this variety, I think its important to have a "genetic library" of information. Because different lines have been bred starting with both eb/ and eWh/ based birds (and combinations of both), it will be essential to show predictability and consistency in breeding in order to present the case for standardization (or variety Standard). Some of the genetic makeup will show more obviously as chicks rather than as juveniles or adults. That is one of the chief reasons I keep photo series on all of my flock. To say that it is interesting that I have two closely marked adults - one eb/ and one eWh/ -is an understatement (on my part).

As has been pointed out by many others having a plan goal for my breeding is essential. For me, I want the highest level of predictability and consistency in my flock. To that end, I work to photograph and document everything I can to better understand what is happening genetically. Sometimes its hard to know what's significant in every stage from chick to adult, so you just document as much as possible! Breeding records and photos speak volumes.

Of course it goes without saying, that as a "Johnny come lately" to Mille Fleur Cochins, much of the hard work of breeding and culling has taken place by a variety of others and in different places. Without their hard work, we would be many, many years from developing this variety Standard. My thanks to all those who came before - and to those who will continue forward until we are ready to submit for a Standard recognition.

Dave

Dave,
many have been doing that from the start. Unfortunately, since it is all still new and we are all trying to get the genes lined up to be consistent, there is only a bit of predictability in breeding them.

I tried photographing all my chicks to start with but when I got into the hundreds there was just no way to keep up with them all in an album or in a grow up pen when I was selling them off as they were not to my liking. It has been a great pleasure to get as far as I have with my breeding but I still can not predict what my chicks are going to look like when grown.

Gail!! i received my Cochins International Breeders Directory today.. It looks great! and I thank you so very much for your time involved. I love the pic of Tom and his Dad.. really great how you put it all together..
hugs.gif

Like Erin, I have a couple girls who are shaping up nicely.This first girl has it "goin' on" in the type department & I'm so pleased. She doesn't have the exact pattern yet, but I have high hopes for her babies next Spring.

18946_img_7831.jpg

These two girls are looking better in type but still need some improvement in the pattern. What I do like in all three girls is that they have good wing carriage.

18946_img_7836.jpg

Absolutely beautiful, Lynne! You always have the prettiest birds!
Don't worry about that pattern, you know it will be there when you raise those chicks next year! Can't wait to see them!

Back
Top Bottom