Mille Cochin Info

Looks like I'm in the Mille Fleur/Calico business since I hatched eggs I got from Angie in PA
lol.png

These little guys are about a month old. Hope they keep those "dustmop" feet.

7083_100_0325_637x800.jpg

7083_100_0326_800x599.jpg

Merry Christmas to you, too, Amy - and the rest of the project "family"!

I should be receiving my hatching eggs from Rosalyn (Luckypickens) tomorrow and I will be setting them on Tuesday. I will be hatching MF, blue/black Mottled, black and buff Columbian!

Some other good news is that my other MF pullet is squatting, so I am expecting an egg from her soon. Her comb and wattles have grown, so I knew it was coming. My buff Columbian pullet is also squatting, so hopefully I can put her and Byron (MF that looks BC cockerel I bought from Msbear in October - he's from Tom Roebuck's BC rooster) back together soon. Of course, Byron tried to spur me in the face yesterday while taking care of his water... He got taught a valuable lesson. If I didn't need him for the project, I think I would have put him in the freezer.

So, in order to progress with my project, I need more coops. I was only supposed to have MFs, not the BC and Mottled to make them. I did have a question on that subject. How big does a breeding pen for 2 bantam Cochins need to be? I don't want them in my dog crates, but they are 2x3'. Is that big enough for the 2 of them temporarily?

Last edited:
ok i'm curiuos. i've seen a number of cochin pics on wire floors, I'm wondering is that the best floor to raise them on? I've got them on sawdust right now, and noticed their featherdusters are getting a bit soiled. any other suggestions what to do about dirty feet?

my mille doesn't have the fluffiest feet of the hatch, but he's pretty close LOL. the black mottled's all have great feet IMO. if anything, the mille is not as great as he's missing toenails. but still a love so i'll deal. LOL

Quote:
I have not yet decided who to pair him with - I still have some pullets growing out. He just might have to wait till this fall or next spring when I have some MF/Mottled crossed pullets.........but we shall see.

LOL - his name - he was a horrible bitter when he was younger. A bite and twister. Luckily he has outgrown that nasty habbit and is now a sweet young man.

I just love seeing everyone's birds......hope you all had a wonderful christmas and are looking forward to next year.

Reyvaughn

[b :

So, in order to progress with my project, I need more coops. I was only supposed to have MFs, not the BC and Mottled to make them. I did have a question on that subject. How big does a breeding pen for 2 bantam Cochins need to be? I don't want them in my dog crates, but they are 2x3'. Is that big enough for the 2 of them temporarily?[/b]

Ah! Always my dilemma. Need more coops but I now refuse to add more because that means more roos and I do love all my roos! Not to mention more work.

I have a bantam breeding pair in a 4x4x4 and it is plenty big enough. I think 2x3 is fine. Mine are always out on the ground and I do not worry except for the wind so I try to block a lot of that with a building. My birds are always out on the ground. My white bantams have always lived out on the ground and have done very well. That is why I don't personally show my birds. I hate leaving them up in a cage. I have to go out so I will snap a few photos of what I have some in. You would not believe it. I am getting lazy in my old age.​

Back
Top Bottom