Mille Cochin Info

Quote:
OK, what do you think of the type on this girl?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/18946_mfc_pulelts_2_001.jpg

Oh, she's just horrid! You can't use her... So you should send her to me!

You are tooooo funny
lau.gif
However, I guess that means she's looking pretty good. As with all of us, I'm struggling to find the right recipe. I "think"
fl.gif
I've almost got a handle on it. Of course, I won't get too content as something strange can crop up at any minute.

Beth G. :

Aww thanks. Yeah I am really trying to work on type more than anything. Once I have that then I'll work on color. The last gal had the most awesome tail and the darn roo boys tugged it out!
rant.gif
Trying to mate more than the other etc.... I so wish I got her pic's prior to that happening. She has some real nice shape. I need to get updated pic's of the rooster of choice I picked for them. If only I could be a fulltime poultry farmer and not go to work
roll.png

Quote:
You have some wonderful type on these birds! Thank you for sharing! I really like that last girl. Thin on the rump but looking nice!
Sometimes it seems too few of us are actually breeding the MFC and I sometimes feel all alone but then come here and see all the beauties and get all happy!
ya.gif

I posted in the other Cochin tread but, I figured I'd save these girls pic's for here
wink.png

- I like you girls in the 2nd and 4th pics, round and fluffy!

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, she's just horrid! You can't use her... So you should send her to me!

You are tooooo funny
lau.gif
However, I guess that means she's looking pretty good. As with all of us, I'm struggling to find the right recipe. I "think"
fl.gif
I've almost got a handle on it. Of course, I won't get too content as something strange can crop up at any minute.

I have a feeling the type improvement is going to go slowly but while we impatiently progress thru the seasons we sure will have some pretty birds to look at.

I just love all my Cochins but my Millies truely have my heart.

I'm curious- where did Mille Fleur Cochins first develope? England?
MSbear how long have you been raising them and how did you start?

Last edited:
Quote:

Very nice and round. Love her! She must be young still? She has a good shape but her tail looks like it is still developing. Good wings, love her head and the way her legs blend well with her under fluff making her whole appearance look like a ball. If your others look like this then you got it going on strong!!! I got miles and miles to go to catch up with you!

Quote:

Very nice and round. Love her! She must be young still? She has a good shape but her tail looks like it is still developing. Good wings, love her head and the way her legs blend well with her under fluff making her whole appearance look like a ball. If your others look like this then you got it going on strong!!! I got miles and miles to go to catch up with you!

Amy & Gail....

Thanks so much for the compliments. Yes, you are right, Amy, she is only 8 months. Can't wait to see what she looks like after her first molt. With all the hatching I did last year, I only have 6 or 7 that have her type. They are all still relatively young so we will see. I have several young cockerels (6 months) that look like they are shaping up nicely. I find the boys take much longer to mature than the girls in type. Looks like it will be a good year.
fl.gif
And Amy, don't you dare put any of your birds down. You have some awesome examples of excellent type. It's a good thing we aren't neighbors or we would ( or at least "I" would) be in a lot of trouble as I would need a few more acres of pens~!
wee.gif

Oh Lynne, how I wish I could cut back to only a few but I always worry something will happen and I will need back up girls so I am horrible at keeping second and third rate girls here on the farm. Then I hate to waste their eggs so they go into breeding sometimes like my Frizzle pen or even fun color pens and I wind up with too many Cochins. Okay, you can NEVER have too many Cochins but too many mouths to feed.

I thought your pullet was young and I, too, can't wait to see what she will molt out like. Her bum should be excellent! You had me worried when you said you needed to breed in type. Phooey! You got it going on just right.
clap.gif
My girls do not come out like that unless they have the mottled in them. So now it is a long road to breeding out all that dark and getting the pattern back in while trying to hang on to the type. Ugh. Long, long road!
th.gif
However, that is fun too.

Oh, my yes! If we were neighbors or lived a lot closer I would be sooooo broke! Or we would have a good trade going on. Some of my new Mottled pen birds are from another BYCer and we trade out some so that way we both can have what we need and improve our flocks without spending a ton of money.

Back
Top Bottom