Mille Cochin Info

I bred for 2 years before I got one I liked well enough to keep. I hope to have a good breeding program of them next year. I am sure I will look for eggs to broaden my genetic base.
wink.png

Hi Guys!
I have one Mille Cochin hen and one that is supposed to be, but is almost all red with just one black streak on one primary. I don't trust who I got the eggs from as I received 24 eggs, only three hatched and one of the three is a Black Mottled. So, I guess my question is: Is my red one possibly a Mille, just not marked well?

Thanks~
Karen

Hi Guys!
I have one Mille Cochin hen and one that is supposed to be, but is almost all red with just one black streak on one primary. I don't trust who I got the eggs from as I received 24 eggs, only three hatched and one of the three is a Black Mottled. So, I guess my question is: Is my red one possibly a Mille, just not marked well?

Thanks~
Karen
do you have any pics? i had a red hen that was truly a red, not mille, and she did have some black in some of her wing and tail feathers... a mille should have all 3 colors black white and red/brown/buff - like a calico or torti cat. i've got 2, so i guess i'm a sucker for the color blend.

Cadeau, were are you located exactly? I'm definitely interested in #8 and maybe even #4. You said you had others you may want to part with? If I am going to make a 2hr trip, I want to make it a good one (any trip getting chickens is good, though). ;) LOL!

Hi Guys!

Thanks~
Karen
Getting a mottled from a millie fleur to millie fleur cross would be consistent with the genetics as the original millie fleur cochins come from breeding a black mottled to a buff columbian. I believe there are other ways to produce this color, but that is one way.. The red pullet may get some white spots as she grows older as they often do. Too bad you had such a bad hatch rate. Shipped eggs are always a gamble. .

eta ps is the green thumbs up akin to a like button?

Last edited:
RayV I have some extra black cochin boys and was going to offer with some hens. Now I have to wait and see because it appears I an raising up 45 new black cockerels. Argh! Probably a couple mnth wait for me.

Genetics question:
What do you project will be the result of my Black Mottled Rooster with either the red hen or the true Mille?

Thanks~
K

Back
Top Bottom