Mille Cochin Info

I know I don't! Weren't alot of these colors used to help make the Mille Cochin anyway?
I believe so and mottleds aren't as far off track as I've got this thread before. Like buff barreds, they have nothing to do with mille fleurs Cochins besides being the same breed.
big_smile.png

I have been amazed at how much Mottleds can change pattern. The hen pictured above looked like this when I got her. She was about a year old.

A little more than a year later she looked like this.......

And you see what she looks like now in the photo a few posts up. I am thrilled that she filled out so very nicely! She just bloomed this year so I was talked into entering her into a few shows. We have another this Sat.
I would love to take her daughter but she lost her tipping with this last molt. She is out of the pair in the first photo of this post. This is a photo from back in the summer. She is 3 years old.

And here she was at 8 months old.

She is very dark right now with very little white. I had to check her tag to make sure it was her! I will try to get a photo.

But yes, you could breed your black split to your Mottled but you never know how those genes will line up and what the modifiers will do. You could get black kids for 2 years and then bang, a bit of tipping shows up. I have had solid black kids for more than a year before they molt out and have any white. Those are typy but their tipping is much too small for my projects so they go in my pet pens. I breed those sometimes to roos like this.....

And I want to apologize to anyone coming here looking for MFC. I get side tracked talking bantam Cochin, any color!
i for one don't mind, a beautiful bird is a beautiful bird.
love.gif

I know I don't! Weren't alot of these colors used to help make the Mille Cochin anyway?

I have always used the Mottled in my breeding program. In my bloodlines where I get too much red and not enough white tipping or the black chevrons the Mottleds come into play. I started my breeding program basically from scratch so I have always added the Mottled. They also bring in great type. I am still working on that perfect bird but every year get a bit closer.
The pullet in the bottom of this first photo is a daughter of the roo I first had from Bantyman's bloodline. I crossed him with a Schmoozle daughter and got this lovely lady. Schmoozle is a MF/Mottled roo that you all have probably seen on here. I use him a lot as well as Xavier.

I have always used the Mottled in my breeding program. In my bloodlines where I get too much red and not enough white tipping or the black chevrons the Mottleds come into play. I started my breeding program basically from scratch so I have always added the Mottled. They also bring in great type. I am still working on that perfect bird but every year get a bit closer.
The pullet in the bottom of this first photo is a daughter of the roo I first had from Bantyman's bloodline. I crossed him with a Schmoozle daughter and got this lovely lady. Schmoozle is a MF/Mottled roo that you all have probably seen on here. I use him a lot as well as Xavier.

Love~

Thanks! I keep working at it and trying to get closer with every cross I make. I get type, I lose pattern. I get pattern (or closer), I lose type. <sigh>
Long road still ahead but I enjoy the challenge and so far I love my results.

Thanks! I keep working at it and trying to get closer with every cross I make. I get type, I lose pattern. I get pattern (or closer), I lose type. <sigh>
Long road still ahead but I enjoy the challenge and so far I love my results.
You have done a lot in your program and we all appreciate you sharing your progress as you have progressed.
As hard as I have tried to hatch MF and today don't have a single one, I really don't have room for them now due to where I want to go with my cochins.
some day maybe I will be able to have a pen with MF!

I would love nothing more than to start my own project from scratch with my mottleds and Buff Columbians but not right now.

So, for space and warmth reasons I have a few adult Silkies in the same pen with my Cochin chicks. The oldest chicks in this pen are Macho and Kipper, hatched July 3rd. I have one of those double-decker metal nest boxes in this pen, I keep all the holes filled with straw. The Silkies sometimes lay in the bottom holes and the Cochin chicks often hang out in the upper level. Now, there is NO way a Silkie can jump to the upper level, Silkies just don't jump. Today, for the second time, there was a tiny little EGG in one of the second story holes!! Could Kipper, at 4 1/2 months old, be laying already??

Back
Top Bottom