Minnesota!

I agree with BTC. Free ranging to me is no fence whatsoever. And pastured is just that... pastured. I think pastured birds are just as happy as free range birds. Heck my "free range" birds dont go out much father than a medium sized fence would allow anyways. They like to stay next to the waters and feeders and shade bushes all of which could be fenced if I wanted to.

If they just started laying, could be she is just not in working condition yet. Then again, is it actually white or just really light brown/beige?

It is called bleaching. As a hen comes to the end of a season and ready to molt, her face, wattles, earlobes and legs will fade out. Also, the color of their feathers fades or turns an off-shade. The yolk and egg color are actually pulled from their pigment in their body and is most noticeable in the skin bleaching. The eggs normally start darkest at the beginning of the laying cycle and get lighter over time.
That is why some 'chocolate eggers' like Welsummers and Marans, will lay lighter brown eggs with age also.
I have some BLRW hens that just look horrible right now, but once they grow back their feathers, they are as beautiful as ever, but you'd never guess it the way they are now.

I just thought to mention too, I have a pasture full of mostly tailless roosters. They are always the first feathers to drop on those boys and they look so silly!
Great information. Thank you!

I think it's most likely VERY, VERY light brown but next to the other brown eggs it looks white.

Last edited:
The Renaissance festival is interesting, with many booths where craftsmen & artisans are marketing their goods. Lots of good food & etc. I have not been there for many years and don't anticipate going back. I have lost my tolerance for crowds and insolent fools.
Ralphie I believe your guinea was killed by an owl. I have experience similar in the past when one went right through garden netting over the top of a pen and killed multiple chickens in a grow out pen.

After the bleaching happens doesn't less color come back each time which can help determine the age of a hen? I read about it in my storeys guide but need to double check I am remembering right

Not really. I have hens who are 3-years old and are just as vibrant colored as the young ones. They are as flush when they are laying too. Now, if you are talking hens who are 5, 6, 7-years old, then yes, you probably can see a lighter color in the legs and beak and maybe in the comb and wattles. However, birds that are properly fed and cared for and have all their nutritional requirements met should keep looking great for years. Chickens are like us humans, we have some fading as we get older, but we have a good number of years in us of looking good. Well, some of us anyway.

Back
Top Bottom