Mixed Breed Photo Reference *please read guidelines in first post before adding content*

Pics
This spring I would like to cross breed Speckled Sussex Roo, with a white rock hen.... Anyone done this yet?
roll.png

ok, folks... we seem to be loosing focus here... the reason I started this thread was not for people to post pics of there birds to ask what mix they are... not to be rude, but there is a whole subforum here devoted to figuring out what your chicken is( which I am aware this thread did get moved to after people started hijacking it for that purpose... wasn't too thrilled about that, but it was the mods call, so I can live with it), post your own thread there if you are wondering, please don't hijack this thread... nor was the reason I started it to post picks of any old mixed breed chicken... there are threads already started for that purpose as well... the point of this thread was to show the results of crossing two known breeds, so that if someone was wondering what they could get if they crossed a white leghorn with a rhode island red, they could look it up and have an idea what to expect... please try to keep that in mind...

I'm loving this thread! I'm just getting into incubating and the next hatch will include some mottled houdan roo X white crested black polish hen eggs. We have also let a broody hen set on some eggs before. The only Roo we had at the time was a Barred Cochin Bantam and we let her sit on Ameraucana eggs. The result had the black/white broken barred look with a smallish Ameraucana body, long spindly legs, no muff/beard or puffy cheeks. We had to kill it though because it's hips were out of place, I'm guessing because of a defect from breeding small with big. Sorry we didn't take pics, but when we breed others I'll add them here.

Zoe and Lucy are Light Brahma Roo x Black Silkie hens. They are very friendly, and look nothing at all like their father other than having more typical chicken feathers rather than silkie fluff! They are bigger than a silkie--almost the size of a standard LF. They lay about 4-5 days a week, and they lay small (but not silkie small) cream colored eggs. They are a year old now and we've seen them toying with broodiness, but nothing serious. They mothers were insanely broody. I don't have a roo right now and don't want any more chicks, so I hope they behave themselves and keep laying! They're pretty birds, especially in the sunlight.

I love the jumble of a mix... The first time i saw a ShowGirl,,, I thought WOW! a Silky cross with a turken.... its really beautiful.. I am trying to cross a frizzel with my Turkens... It should be a very cool combo... cross your fingers. I still cant figure out why we havent breed 4 or 6 legged chickens so we have more drumsticks... lol

At the time I hatched this hen all I had was chicks. One of my neighbors Speckled Sussex hens wondered up for a visit and was setting on some hay in our barn. She left behind a big pink egg. This was the first and only time we have ever had a visit from any of our neighbors chickens. We decided to think of the egg as a gift and set it. The only roo the neighbors owned was a big hatchery Red broiler Roo they kept back as a pet. So this is a Red Broiler Roo X Speckled Sussex Hen. As a chick she was yellow with chipmunk stripes on her back. She surpassed her mothers size is a huge hen and very good layer of a very large pink egg. We keep her for eggs and they r delicious LOL

This is Snow. She is a Light Brahma Roo X Buff Orpington. Her sister looks more like a light brahma without feathered legs. There was two roos that looked exactly like light brahmas as well, but they are in the freezer now.

I didn't take pics but I had a Golden Laced Wyandotte that hatched a dozen chicks. Each one is the shape of her (compact and petite), but the color of whatever roo she mated. So some are black (austrlorp) and some barred (barred rock). They all have single combs too. Fun thread!!

Back
Top Bottom