Mixed heritage and birds with dubious parentage thread. (mutts)

He sounds like the perfect rooster.

Even the great Late Brutus would come running at me if he thought I was hurting one members of his flock.

I picked up the hen turkey one day and she squawked more in surprise than anything else and Brutus came running to check it out. I use to grab a bird that was close to me when Brutus wasn't just to see him run to it's aid. I found that to be such a great quality. I really miss Brutus.

The roosters I have now are not cool in any way, shape or manner. The exception being Bert, my CX baby. He is cool just by existing. He is gentle and I doubt he will ever protect anything. He is so meek and mellow you would think he was eating Maryjane brownies.

When I lost Rick I thought my chances for a CX Rainbow cross was over, then like a ton of bricks falling on me, it dawned on me when I saw a Dixie rainbow hen standing next to Bert, DUH.. I can have Bert mate with some Dixie rainbow hens. I was so set on Rick mating with the CX hens it never dawned on me the road runs both directions.. Now I just hope Bert stays alive.

One of my chickens lays an egg I call the "porcelain" egg. It is so perfect to me it looks nearly ceramic or artificial. I have no idea who lays it, but I am going to hatch babies from them.

Here is a few pictures of the eggs. I cannot believe how much I like looking and taking pictures of eggs!

The picture below shows it the best, but none do it justice.

My partner laughs at me taking photos of my eggs! He is the one who cracks the can over chicks running around in the house-i nested them with the kittens last year and we had 13 kittens and 6 chicks all ruinning around together and eating each others foods! Joyful and funny, but utter chaos!
You do have a truly beautiful set there! Seems a shame to crack them open...maybe blow them and make scrambled eggs?
My rooster split my lip with one wingbeat before i learned to cover his eyes before grabbing him....now i grab his tail and blindfold him before getting within wing or spur range. As i have never had a rooster before, the spurs fascinates me...i can't get over how hard and sharp they are! I scarcely believed the stories of being stabbed throigh a boot and needing stitches, but now i believe!

My partner laughs at me taking photos of my eggs! He is the one who cracks the can over chicks running around in the house-i nested them with the kittens last year and we had 13 kittens and 6 chicks all ruinning around together and eating each others foods! Joyful and funny, but utter chaos!
You do have a truly beautiful set there! Seems a shame to crack them open...maybe blow them and make scrambled eggs?
My rooster split my lip with one wingbeat before i learned to cover his eyes before grabbing him....now i grab his tail and blindfold him before getting within wing or spur range. As i have never had a rooster before, the spurs fascinates me...i can't get over how hard and sharp they are! I scarcely believed the stories of being stabbed throigh a boot and needing stitches, but now i believe!

My wife would have me locked up if I started blowing out the eggs. She already thinks I am nuts for stacking them, laying them out and taking pictures of them.

She does not understand all the possible ways to line up eggs:

by color
by darkness
by size
by age
by breed
Alphabetical order by the chickens names
by weight

I have only young birds and have not seen any spurs yet.

I saw a video on YouTube on removing them. Two people, one holding and the other removing by twisting it off with pliers. Didn't seem to bother the roo that much. But dip foot in flour if it bleeds

The pliers method works great. My son and I did my Araucana rooster last spring. He held the rooster against his chest and I twisted the spur off. He said the rooster didn't even flinch. He only bled two drops of blood. I separated him from the hens for two days. I would recommend this procedure for all roosters.

You just pull the spurs out with a pliers?

Can you clip them with a wiring pliers?

Does this make the rooster less able to defend himself against predators?

Do you do this on all roosters or only those that behave badly?

Back
Top Bottom