Mixed heritage and birds with dubious parentage thread. (mutts)

So lets say I decided to try smoking one of the geese.  Would I need the skin on for smoking or can I smoke it without skin?  Would I do the whole bird or put it in pieces?  Would I be able to put the bird in the smoker right away or is there a 'drying out' period needed for geese?  Sorry to ask here but I was looking around the BYC and couldn't find the answers so I thought I would ask here.  As far as the wood chips go I have apple, whiskey, hickory, and mesquite flavors.  Which one would suite goose the best? Would smoking duck basically be the same as goose?  Thanks!
You are making me drool!!!!!

So lets say I decided to try smoking one of the geese. Would I need the skin on for smoking or can I smoke it without skin? Would I do the whole bird or put it in pieces? Would I be able to put the bird in the smoker right away or is there a 'drying out' period needed for geese? Sorry to ask here but I was looking around the BYC and couldn't find the answers so I thought I would ask here. As far as the wood chips go I have apple, whiskey, hickory, and mesquite flavors. Which one would suite goose the best? Would smoking duck basically be the same as goose? Thanks!

Your asking the wrong person about geese I have never eaten or fixed a goose. I understand they have a lot of fat so I would think skinned would be better. My son shoots an occasional wild goose and he breast them out . The turkeys he shoots he does the same. I have a friend that skins out his wild turkeys except for the wings and will smoke them and take them into his office for Thanksgiving.
The wood that I have used is hickory, mesquite and oak and can not tell the difference.
I have no experience with ducks either so go for it. As long as you get it done ( I used a thermometer that has a probe that goes into the meat and then has an electronic control that beeps when it reaches the correct temp.)

. He hates the hose and doesn't like when I toss buckets of water at him
I don't blame him I would be a bit upset too
lau.gif

I consider myself the world champion smoker.

You can do it anyway you want. Skin on, Skin off. whole, half, or cut up.

I always soak the meat in a mixture of salt water ( strong enough to float an egg).  I had brown sugar, honey or whatever I want for sweetening, when it has soaked long enough, which is always at least over night or longer.  It can go longer depending on the amount of adult beverages I deem appropriate for the occasion.  I find when in Effie it requires more beverages than here at home. I think it is the northern latitudes.

Soak the wood in water so it is good and wet, put the wood in a steel box with a coupe small air holes and turn on the fire!  Try to keep it around 180.  Also have lots of water above the smoke box for the moisture. The water "bowl" will get gunky with grease and fat dripping off the bird and the smoke, I suggest you not use a good bowl for this, I have a special metal one I use. Using any other would send me to the hospital a victim of spouse abuse. It is hard to ruin something smoking it.  I have used all types of wood, the difference in taste is barely noticeable. Make sure it is a hard wood, because of pine tars.
[/quo

That why I think you and your rooster should move down here
To teach us about smoking meats

Weird<<<I just tried to post and everything went blank.

Linda, I asked Bert about moving down there and he refused. He is a very stubborn little guy. He says he does not want to live anywhere that has snakes, alligators or sharks. I explained you have no sharks, he did not care.

I tried to get him in the truck by telling him I was taking him to the dairy queen for ice cream, he still refused. When I asked him what he wanted to do he just sat on his feed sacks and said, "I want to stay right here, now leave!"

I moved my new roosters yesterday to a larger coop with a covered run. Now I need the old roosters to find them and get acquainted to lesson the fights. Bert the guy above is my CX that I want to cross with my rainbows.

I keep wondering what you mean when you refer to your Rainbows.

So, in order not to be "that kinda slow lady" who doesn't know what they are and cannot operate google and look for herself, I searched for "rainbow chickens".

You should try it. It's funny.

But I'd love to see photos of your Rainbows and hear all about them. I gather they are a meat or dual purpose bird??

Back
Top Bottom