Mixing Grains for Feed verses Buying Corporate Crumbles...

See! This is exactly what I was hoping for...A Civil Discussion of ALL the Options and why each of you has chosen your feed source. Good stuff thanks to all that participated...JJ

So you just dropped in to edjumacate all of the folks here who have discussed this a million times? I have only been here since March and have seen this “unique” topic at least twice since then. I think it would be great if you’d already concocted your own homemade feed, fed it to your own chickens exclusively and saw the results. Then you could post a nutritional analysis along with your recipe and we can all follow your results. I am so tired of internet experts who devalue people who actually have an education in the topic they dispute.

Yes. I completely agree. You have way too much time on your hands.

So you just dropped in to edjumacate all of the folks here who have discussed this a million times?....

Well, I for one have enjoyed the thread and have not discussed this topic before. The BYC forums is great in many ways, but I find that there are so many active members and posts that any topic can be here and gone in mere minutes, let alone days or weeks. I have tried to ask follow on questions on threads only a week or so old and nobody is following it anymore. I have done searches on topics I am interested in and find the members have long since been inactive even if the thread is only a year old. So I don't mind if someone posts a new thread on a topic that may have already been discussed somewhere else. I have the option to join, respond, or ignore and more on to the next interesting thread.

After 3 years of research, I'm retired with a lot of time on my hands, this is what I have determined.

To the OP. Appreciate your thoughts on this subject and hope to hear more from you on other topics in the future.

About the taste of store bought chicken; those are Cornishx birds, four to eight weeks old, bred for insanely fast and feed efficient growth, and too young to have much 'chicken flavor'. They also hardly move, so have soft muscles, tender.
Free ranging older birds will have a lot more flavor, and depending on age, be 'firm' to 'very tough'. That's traditional chicken, home raised.
Commercial laying hens go into soup, or maybe pet food.
Mary

The bottom line.... There are a lot of laws that make growing/raising our own food difficult and at times impossible.

Yes, I agree. However...I have lived in places where some people just don't have the same idea of keeping things clean. I would not want to live next to someone keeping chickens who did not clean up after them so the place smells terrible downwind. And I would not want to live next to someone who is butchering chickens and leaves remains out to attract rats and other varmints. When people are not responsible, other people pass laws to protect their communities.

I currently live outside the town limits, and don't have many restrictions as to raising my own livestock. But I have heard stories from the local town where someone was raising chickens inside the town limits, had way too many birds (100+) for a backyard flock, and this was causing problems for the neighbors. They brought their concerns to the city council and a law was passed banning all poultry, even those people with small, well tended flocks. It took years to overturn and modify that law and allow small flocks of well tended backyard chickens inside the city limits. It only takes one irresponsible owner to make things difficult for all others who are acting responsibility.

This is from a complete Newbie here.
I do A LOT of Reseach before I take on a new project, so take my words or opinion for whatever value you place on it. There are very friendly and knowledgeable folks here and I value what they have to say. I really Love this Place!

Not every person raising Chickens has the land or time to Free Range. Even tossing the Girls lawn weeds and some grass, garden trim and seasonal leftovers or wilted greens and people food is good. But for these Chicken Fans, it's Feed that makes the bulk of their Chickens diet.

What to do?

I'm not a Chicken Nutritionist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
After 3 years of research, I'm retired with a lot of time on my hands, this is what I have determined. Since the Domestication of Chickens, some 9000 years ago, when they foraged and ate a portion of whatever their keeper was growing and eating. They ate vegetables and assorted Grain. It was some 8000 years, turn of the Century, until Factory Farmed Poultry was born and another few Decades, the 50's, before sufficient knowledge of Vitamin and Minerals effect on health became a field of College Study, aka the Chicken Nutritionists. Their focus, Originally, was and is the Health of the birds...BUT...It was not too many years before Farmer Joe and Sons Poultry, became Tysons Inc, Pilgram's Pride and Perdue. While chicken health is of major concern, you can't sell Dead Chickens, Chicken health at a MINIMUM COST, is paramount. While Chickens live, grow and produce amazing eggs at 24-30% Protein, Protein is the most expensive ingredient in feed. The " Nutrionists " researched and determined with 16% Protein, artificial Vitamins, Hormones and Antibiotics, the birds grow at sufficient rates, to turn a profit. Is it possible or worth while for, Crazy Chicken Lady 85 to try to do better? Absolutely! Go to Shop-Rite, buy a Tysons Chicken and a Dozen Eggs. Next stop at your Local Farmers Market and get a Free Range Cornish Cross and a Dozen Free Range Buff Orpington Eggs. Roast off the Chickens with just Salt and Pepper for seasoning and make Soft Boiled or Sunny Side Eggs...How do the chickens look, smell, how does body conformation and Taste compare? Now the Eggs, how far do the Whites Spread, how Viscus are they, what Color are the Yolks, pale yellow or Vibrant Orange, how does the Taste of the two compare? You will be surprised...
There is a REASON over the last 50 years, people taste some unusual foods like, Snake, Alligator, Etc, and say," It taste like Chicken..." That's because modern Factory Farmed Chicken has a very small discernable Taste of its Own!!!! Virtually everyone here under 55 years of age, especially growing up in the city, has probaly not tasted what Chicken is SUPPOSED to Taste like, you were raised on Grocery Chain Chicken and the Tastless Store Eggs! Free Range Eggs have a Rich, Depth of Flavor that coats the mouth and lingers beyond swallowing. The Intensity is like a Full Flavored pot of Grandma's Sunday Gravy, aka Tomato Meat Sauce, that has simmered all day, her Loving Hands stirring and coaxing every ounce of goodness from the Home Grown Ingredients.
The Poultry Feed conglomerates soon took the opportunity to take the " Scientist " designed Feed they sell Factory Farms by the Train Car load, and make More Money. They started bagging it in 25 and 50 pound bags, printing some pretty picturesque farms, from days when chickens were hand raised and tasted great. They then market and sell it as, The Best Feed Money Can Buy!
I DON'T THINK SO!
I am old enough to have eaten the Chickens my Grandfather raised and Grandma cooked. The birds were born and raised on their small PA Farmette. The Chicken free ranged the property, were fed what my Grandfather raised in the Garden during the summer and a blend of Grains and Dryed Vegetables purchased from the local Feed Store in the winter. They could get Purina Chicken Chow but Gramp's would never feed His Girls that New Fangled who knows what. The flavor of Grandma's Chicken Roast or Soup was Amazing and the Egg Yolks, from their Ladies, were the color of Sunkist Oranges! Those meals were on visits and Holidays. I longed to return and missed those Chickens. In contrast, I was born and raised in Post War Suburban New Jersey. Chickens and the Eggs we ate came from Factory Farms and fed " Nutritionist " designed grain crumbles that have to be artificially enhanced because the Grains were/are the cheapest money can buy. They get ground and stored for Who Know How Long until ALL their Natural Nutritive value is Oxydized and Lost. Same goes for Layer Crumbles in automated egg farms. The birds and eggs were tasteless, having to be covered in BBQ SAUCE, Gravy or Marinaded. Hot Sauce on Eggs at least gave some flavor.
There are still plenty of folks around, Members Here, YouTube Channels and countless Blogger's, that have been taught the Old Way of How to Mix Nutritionally Balanced Blended Feed. They use Whole Grains that will Keep their Nutritional Value. Maybe add high Protein ingredients like Fish Meal, Kelp and Others or search out Organic, Non-GMO Roasted Soy Beans and Corn. Since Seasonal Rain, or lack of it and Weather changes can effect Nutitional Values, a little Fertell's Nutri-Balancer can make a great Insurance Policy that your birds diet is not lacking essentials. Do it right, lots of folks do, and grow Healthy, Beautiful, FLAVOR FILLED CHICKEN and Eggs that are worth eating.
Read, Watch Videos, Study the vast material on the subject both here and on the Net. THEN decide, Mix Your Own or Buy from the Checker Board Square folks. BTW...FERTRELL'S is accepted as Organic and made from all Natural ingredients. Add to your mix at 3% by weight to supplement any needed or missing Vitamins and a whole range of Probiotics. Oh Yeah, A NUTRITIONIST worked with Fertrell's Farm owners to develop their Nutri-Balancer. They are really good folks just doing what they are asked to do. NOT Evil Corporate Stooges.

So that's my thoughts on the Subject. But, what do I know? I'm just a Newbie with a lot of time on my hands...JJ

With some rewording this could be a GREAT ARTICLE!:th:eek:
Personally I feed my flock dumor layers, but In the summer I mix it with whole oats, BOSS, and a mix of cracked corn and cracked wheat, and In the winter I mix it with BOSS, cracked corn & cracked wheat, sometimes whole oats, and catfish pellets. The catfish pellets are at 32% protein and it keeps my girls warm and laying well without lighting in the winter, I find these feed mixes work best for me. It might be a few extra dollars a month than just buying pellets, but my girls are very depressed when all they have is pellets, I can tell! I also found these mixes to produce the most eggs also!

Free ranging older birds will have a lot more flavor, and depending on age, be 'firm' to 'very tough'. That's traditional chicken, home raised.

I recently read an article on a French chef who was frustrated that he could not get "aged" chickens for his coq au vin. Evidently, you need a bird about 2 years old and "firm" as you mentioned. The taste of a 2 year old chicken is different too, from what I read, as compared to an 8 week old Cornish X. Anyway, the chef ended up partnering up with small flock owners who wanted to refresh their hens after a couple years. That was a win-win for everybody.

Yes, I agree. However...I have lived in places where some people just don't have the same idea of keeping things clean. I would not want to live next to someone keeping chickens who did not clean up after them so the place smells terrible downwind. And I would not want to live next to someone who is butchering chickens and leaves remains out to attract rats and other varmints. When people are not responsible, other people pass laws to protect their communities.

I currently live outside the town limits, and don't have many restrictions as to raising my own livestock. But I have heard stories from the local town where someone was raising chickens inside the town limits, had way too many birds (100+) for a backyard flock, and this was causing problems for the neighbors. They brought their concerns to the city council and a law was passed banning all poultry, even those people with small, well tended flocks. It took years to overturn and modify that law and allow small flocks of well tended backyard chickens inside the city limits. It only takes one irresponsible owner to make things difficult for all others who are acting responsibility.

It definitely only takes a few to ruin things for many. :(

I myself have 30 birds right now. yes I am in the middle of town. Clean is important.
It rained heavily last night. My runs only have the odor of damp earth.

I totally understand why the laws are as they are. I wouldn't want to live next to processing mess or stinky chicken yards.

I consider keeping chickens in town a privilege and act accordingly.

...It might be a few extra dollars a month than just buying pellets, but my girls are very depressed when all they have is pellets, I can tell! I also found these mixes to produce the most eggs also!

I am considering growing fodder in the house this winter to feed to my chickens when no other greens are available to them here in northern Minnesota. From what I understand, 1 pound of barley oats turns into about 6 pounds of greens and sprouts which the chickens just love. So not only do you save money on feed, but you actually provide the chickens with a more nutritious salad bar then feeding the grain alone.

@Willowspirit Edjumacate You? No...Find out what may be the latest opinions on the subject? Yes...There are thousands of Posts here on Molting, Bumble Foot, Egg Bound Birds, Buying a Coop vs Building, How Wide a Perch Should Be and Countless other subjects that have been Posted, Reposted and Discussed, Ad Nauseam...Do You plan to TROLL THEM, because you have seen the subject matter discussed more that Twice in your 4 month visit here.

I am so tired of internet experts who devalue people who actually have an education in the topic

DEVALUE? Which BYC Member? Where, When? I think you Missed Post #4 and 8...Besides, since No other thread Participating member has accused me of Devaluing their contributions to the subject, I will Safely Assume that it is ONLY YOU that feels Devalued...Why? I have no clue.
Well I apologize if I've taken up too much of YOUR time trying to " Edjumacate " myself on MY Time...

Unlike so many of Today's Self Entilted Youth, I was taught, " IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! " America's Youth...So Young, So Angry, DAMN THAT RAP MUSIC!...JJ :old

Back
Top Bottom