Moose laid his first egg!

Amanda39

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
White Lake, Michigan
Moose just laid his first egg, but the shell was very thin and cracked just holding it. Also, he laid it by the food dish in the middle of the pen. He made no nest and I believe he was probably freaked out! It had a little blood on it like Lucy's first egg did. I'm a little concerned about the shell being so thin. He eats the exact same diet, same quantity as Lucy and her shells are rock hard! Could it be because it was his first egg? I have oyster shell grit mixed with their regular grit. They are also on organic duck feed, which also has calcium.

Yes, I know Moose is a she, however, up until recently, we thought Moose was a boy, so we still say he.

Ok, so, I had 2 eggs that I was going to make a quiche with tonight, and I was a little bummed because the recipe called for 6 chicken eggs and I read that a goose egg is equivalent to 2 chicken eggs and I was short an egg. Then my daughter ran in saying Moose laid his first egg. She brought it in and it was considerably bigger than any of the eggs Lucy has laid and there was a bit of blood on the very thin weak shell. I was excited because now I had enough eggs for my quiche! I washed it off real good and started to make my quiche, here are the ingredients..

You can see Moose's egg is on the left of Lucy's 2 eggs. It's a lot bigger and pink.

This is what I found inside....

And, this is the result...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Looks delicious! Goose eggs are so good.

I hope Moose's eggs turn more normal in size. It's not unusual for the first eggs to be thin shelled or even shellless, but it is fairly unusual for them to be double yolkers. It must have been hard for him to lay that monster.

As you've probably guessed by now, you can't really go with a standard formula for substituting goose eggs in recipes. In a quiche it's not that important with exact amounts, but if you use goose eggs for baking your results could be way off. I use a kitchen scale and weigh the eggs. An average medium size chicken egg weighs 1.75 oz; a large egg is 2 oz. My goose eggs have weighed between 3 and 10 oz.

Actually, I weigh the contents of the egg, since goose eggs have thicker shells. Also, I often do recipes with yolks and whites separated, and goose eggs have a higher yolk-to-white ratio than chicken eggs.

In a chicken egg, 11% of the weight is shell. Of the remaining 89%, one third is yolk and two thirds are white.

I agree, too much egg could really ruin a recipe, bu tlike you said, you can't go wrong with quiche! Yes, the double yolker surprised me, hopefully she won't have too many more like that. OUCH!

I'm hoping it was a fluke, as it was the first one. Time will tell! Ironically, neither of them have laid an egg since the double yolker was laid. Strange.

Ok, so, neither of them have laid an egg since the double yolker. Should I be concerned? Lucy was averaging every other day, for 7 eggs. We were assuming Moose had laid the egg, but now I'm wondering if it was Lucy? But it doesn't make sense because Lucy ALWAYS builds a nest in the corner, and this big one was at the front of the pen by the food. So, we assumed it was Moose's because of the location and the blood on it. But, maybe Lucy was in so much pain with it, she just let it out where she was standing, and there was blood because it was so much bigger than her normal size eggs? I'm completely confused!

Back
Top Bottom