Moose laid his first egg!

Ok, so, neither of them have laid an egg since the double yolker. Should I be concerned? Lucy was averaging every other day, for 7 eggs. We were assuming Moose had laid the egg, but now I'm wondering if it was Lucy? But it doesn't make sense because Lucy ALWAYS builds a nest in the corner, and this big one was at the front of the pen by the food. So, we assumed it was Moose's because of the location and the blood on it. But, maybe Lucy was in so much pain with it, she just let it out where she was standing, and there was blood because it was so much bigger than her normal size eggs? I'm completely confused!
Lucy is most likely just taking a short break, Moose well it takes a while to work out the kinks so she will probably lay again soon maybe tomorrow, how are they both acting? Weren't they different colors though? Wasn't the double yolker darker?

The double yolker had a VERY soft shell and was pink. That's why I assumed it was Moose's because Lucy's are white and rock hard! I literally have to bang her eggs on my granite counter top to crack them!

Ok, so, neither of them have laid an egg since the double yolker. Should I be concerned? Lucy was averaging every other day, for 7 eggs. We were assuming Moose had laid the egg, but now I'm wondering if it was Lucy? But it doesn't make sense because Lucy ALWAYS builds a nest in the corner, and this big one was at the front of the pen by the food. So, we assumed it was Moose's because of the location and the blood on it. But, maybe Lucy was in so much pain with it, she just let it out where she was standing, and there was blood because it was so much bigger than her normal size eggs? I'm completely confused!
When my late goose, Keld, laid shellless eggs, she rarely laid them in the nest. I found them in the pool, on the lawn, and even one in the diaper; only once or twice in the nest. All shelled eggs were laid in the nest. Shellless eggs do seem to mess up the laying cycle - last time my present goose laid a shellless egg, it took six days for the next egg to appear. So it seems there's a good chance it was Lucy's egg after all?

Oh ok, thank you for telling me!! It wasn't exactly shell less, it did have a shell, but it was so thin it cracked with me just handling it gently. She has sat in her corner and looks like she wants to lay for the last 2 days, but nothing. I'm so scared of one of them becoming egg bound! My fingers are crossed that when I let them out this morning, there will be something!

Oh ok, thank you for telling me!! It wasn't exactly shell less, it did have a shell, but it was so thin it cracked with me just handling it gently. She has sat in her corner and looks like she wants to lay for the last 2 days, but nothing. I'm so scared of one of them becoming egg bound! My fingers are crossed that when I let them out this morning, there will be something!
I know it is worrisome I almost dread every year when all of mine begin to lay, I haven't ever seen a soft or thin shelled egg from Missy of course with having chickens if she dropped one out in the yard it would be gone in no time, Now having 2 more females to add to the equation and then my ducks and chickens on top, well you just have to do the best you can as far as giving them good feed plenty of greens and pray they don't have problems. Hopefully Lucy is just taking a few days off.

Yes, sorry I haven't responded. My asthma has been awful lately, I'm wheezing and coughing constantly and my nose went on strike. Ugg, my lungs hurt!

Lucy laid an egg yesterday.

Yes, sorry I haven't responded. My asthma has been awful lately, I'm wheezing and coughing constantly and my nose went on strike. Ugg, my lungs hurt!

Lucy laid an egg yesterday.
I'm sorry about the asthma, hope you can get that under control...

Whew glad to hear she laid an egg. Guess it look okay too or you'd have said.

Back
Top Bottom