More Pics from English Chick

Quote:
Thatch is basically dry vegetation - straw, water reed, rushes etc. although straw is the most common.

Mind you, don't go believing that all of England is olde-worldey-charm - a man pulled an imitation handgun on a teenager a couple of hundred yards away from where I'm sat a few days ago, and over the weekend, a man was stabbed to death about 3 miles away. Mind you, we do have better gun control and therefore fewer shootings - someone getting shot, particularly in a public place will make the national news.

Greyscale is right about England not all being olde worlde charm, but I consider myself very very lucky to live where I do, there is very little crime in Tarporley, apart from parking tickets! and even less crime in our village in Eaton.

Quote:
big_smile.png
Hi,

Thanks, I think thats about 3 Brits on this fab site now. dont you just love it!

Very cool! My brother is obsessed with Ireland and wants a thatched roof some day.

My mom's family are decendents of President George Washington, who's mother is descended from William Joseph Ball of Barkham Manor in Berkshire, England. The borough is Wokingham. I would love to go and see the manor house and parrish someday.

Quote:
big_smile.png
Hi Laurie,
You will love this! many many moons ago when once I was just a young girl, I got to stay at the farmhouse where George Washington was born, there was a plaque on the wall etc I will endeavour to dig out the photos and email them to you....You famous person you
smile.png

English Chick - those houses are lovely! And I love the gardens along the drive.

dangerouschicken - I'm curious about how you can be related to George Washington when he never had any children. Is the relationship an indirect one?

Quote:
We have the same common great-grandfather, William W. Ball:

George---

WWB's son was Col. William Ball.
Col. WB's son was Joseph Ball.
JB's daughter was Mary Ball.
MB's son was George Washington.

Me---

WWB's son was Richard Ball.
RB's son was Edward Ball.
EB's son was Edward Ball II.
EB II's son was Edward L. Ball.
ELB's son was William Ball.
WB's son was Strother Ball.
SB's son was William Madison Ball.
WMB's son was Hiram Warner Ball.
HWB's son was James Garfield Ball.
JGB's daughter was my grandma, Patricia Jean Ball!

PHEW!

Washington did have children, not blood, but adopted from Martha's side of the family.

Back
Top Bottom