Moscovies. Just brought home

Yes she comes out for awhile in the after noon. And yes there are feather lining the nest. Every day she lays another egg. She's about 2 years. Im not sure if she was allowed to sit last year.
Sounds like she is going broody once she quits laying and settles in depending on how many eggs she has go in and count when she comes off the nest. I close the door for a few mins. If she has more than you want take all the dirtiest away as long as she is in full broody mode she won't even notice. lol I like for my first time moms to hatch small clutches it gives the mom a better experience and gives the ducklings a better chance of survival. Of course you have to think about what your going to do with them all do you have space to keep 8-20 more Muscovy's or will you sell them just some other things that need to be addressed. I have kept my Muscovy's nest at 8 eggs or less.

As of today I have three Muscovy hens on nests, and I am hoping a fourth will start very soon. She had laid one or two eggs in an old dog crate. This morning I added another four or five eggs that I had collected that had been left in various places, I am hoping someone will claim them and start setting.

I have learned this spring, I am a brand-new to this by the way, that the birds really want to hide their eggs so I have provided dark corners. My first hens set up residence under a ramp leading to the door of my shed. I sort of re-created a similar space on another side of the shed with wood pallets, boards and hay and that then became a new nest.

Have a question will they take turns setting on the nest? Between the 2 of them they have a nest with 22 eggs in it. I've noticed different times that a different one is on the nest. Their setting tight though always one or the other on the nest. They are sisters if that makes any difference. Just curious.

Have a question will they take turns setting on the nest? Between the 2 of them they have a nest with 22 eggs in it. I've noticed different times that a different one is on the nest. Their setting tight though always one or the other on the nest. They are sisters if that makes any difference. Just curious.
Since they are sisters they may share peacefully, My girls don't even want another Muscovy near their nest. So once hatching begins keep and eye on them to make sure they don't fight over the ducklings, that can end bad with ducklings getting caught in the middle.

So l took your advice miss Lyndia and pull some eggs out of the nest to keep it at 8. The problem that I'm having is my other girls are laying in the same nest. I candled some to say and discover some are being to developers while other are fresh. And suggestions ?

Today the eggs have begun to hatch 3 so far 5 to go
1f60d.png
1f625.png

One of my girls has hatched out five duckling so far. I took the first three, that was about two weeks ago and she went back and set on some more eggs and hatched out two more a few days ago. I have four other hens sitting on large clutches. They started at different times but I will soon have lots of ducklings.

I decided, after having taken the first three, to let my ducks raise their own ducklings. But I see the ducklings running all over the place without their mother. The other ducks don't bother them but I can't imagine they are safe from predators. They are in an area protected by electric fencing but I'm sure there are many things that can snatch up such young ducklings. Mom spends most of her day still in the nest. I don't know if she still has eggs or if she just is keeping the space to raise the ducklings. That particular nest is well hidden, and she does not want me near.

Yes that how my mama duck is very protective of her nest. I just put long sleeves and gloves on and go for it ! She hisses and bites but what else can I do
1f625.png
I think she has eggs under her that are at different stages of development, so the ducklings may be running around with out her too.

Back
Top Bottom