most docile,quite breeds of hens?

cass1776

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010
Mass
Ive been researching what type of chickens to get.want to hear from folks out there on what you think are the nicest breeds to have in a backyard.I want calm docile breeds considering I live in a suburban environment. Also must be able to deal with new England winters

I live on Cape Cod and chose Buff Orps. I wanted sturdy, calm chickens. I got sturdy hooligans. But I suppose other breeds can be flightier...

Silkies/Silkie mutts and Cochins/Cochin mutts
big_smile.png

Just love our Golden Comets....a good egg song but never know they are around until you come out. Then they come up and talk to you...softly. Wonderful layers. Have never lost one to illness either.

are barred rocks a good breed,my relatives have some and i see them when we visit them and they seem gentle havent heard to much noise out of them either

There are a lot of breeds to choose from. For cold winters, small, flat comb types such as rose combs and pea combs tend to be less prone to frostbite although there are plenty of people with single combed breeds in your area too. As for flighty, while some breeds or types of chickens seem to be more flighty than others as a general rule (most of the mediterranean breeds, such as leghorns, for example) some of it boils down to the individual bird or breeder. In my mixed flock, I have easter eggers, a wyandotte, speckled sussex, and an exchequer leghorn. And I have to say, in spite of the leghorn reputation for being flighty, my leghorn is probably the least flighty bird in my flock. She's the easiest to pick up, just about the calmest when held, and doesn't immediately run away as soon as you put her down.

Barred rocks are a perennial favorite among suburban chicken owners for a reason. They do tend to be pretty gentle and aren't any louder than most other breeds you could choose. Everyone's going to have their favorite. The best advice would be to use the breed selection tools available (there's one on the BYC breed section and a few of the hatcheries have their own too) to par the list down to breeds that fit what you are looking for, then decide which one or ones appeal to you the most aesthetically.

next question,are there any types of roo's that are calmer or ones that dont crow as loud or as often as others??

Back
Top Bottom