MOTTLED COCHIN THREAD~!

Pics
Amy, here is a photo of that cockerel I got from one of your Rascal's eggs. I posted something on your facebook page a bit ago and forgot I was going to follow up with a photo to you. The even-colored light grey, and your comment about only getting blue chicks from Rascal (phenotypic black mottled, probably recessive split black/self-blue) leads me to believe that when you say blue mottled, they may actually be self-blue mottled. I'd love to have a flock of self-blue mottled, they are lovely birds!

Last edited:
Amy, here is a photo of that cockerel I got from one of your Rascal's eggs. I posted something on your facebook page a bit ago and forgot I was going to follow up with a photo to you. The even-colored light grey, and your comment about only getting blue chicks from Rascal (phenotypic black mottled, probably recessive split black/self-blue) leads me to believe that when you say blue mottled, they may actually be self-blue mottled. I'd love to have a flock of self-blue mottled, they are lovely birds!

I really like his coloring

Cool!
And you got a roo! I am so jealous! He is very handsome.
love.gif

I have been trying forever to get a blue Mottled roo out of Rascal but all I get are girls. Okay, that is NOT a bad thing but it would be neat to have a roo to have another breeding pen.

Sorry, self blue or blue Mottled is all the same to me. I have never studied the blue genetics in poultry other than knowing B/B/S percentages so having self blue over just being blue Mottled is a new concept. Blue is blue is blue to me. The roo looks Mottled so I figure blue Mottled. I know, I need to study up on this more. I swear, mammals were never this hard.
th.gif

Thank you for telling me this as I know I need to read up on it. It is so bad that I have poultry genetics books and seldom have a chance to read them.

Cool!
And you got a roo! I am so jealous! He is very handsome.
love.gif

I have been trying forever to get a blue Mottled roo out of Rascal but all I get are girls. Okay, that is NOT a bad thing but it would be neat to have a roo to have another breeding pen.

Sorry, self blue or blue Mottled is all the same to me. I have never studied the blue genetics in poultry other than knowing B/B/S percentages so having self blue over just being blue Mottled is a new concept. Blue is blue is blue to me. The roo looks Mottled so I figure blue Mottled. I know, I need to study up on this more. I swear, mammals were never this hard.
th.gif

Thank you for telling me this as I know I need to read up on it. It is so bad that I have poultry genetics books and seldom have a chance to read them.

I am pretty sure I have a self-blue pullet. The parents are a blue hen form you and a blue cockerel from you (shipped eggs). The cockerel was not one of my favorites type wise. This pic makes him look not so bad. His neck was way to long. I have a couple of his kids though. I had a hard time deciding between self-blue or splash mottled???? For this guy. I will try and get a pic of his daughter.

Neat looking.
I have splash Mottled, it looks nothing like this but this one does look very streaky.
I know blue Mottleds are hard to come by and so many folks want them but I can see why breeders keep them back and do not sell those really nice ones. Just super hard to get. I sell very few and never my best ones.

From what I have seen, adult mottled splash cochins look the same as splash cochins that are not mottled. A mottled self-blue would have light blue head, neck, back and tail feathers like the one I posted above, whereas a mottled splash usually has more splotchy coloring and probably darker colored feathers on the head/neck/back/tail. When mottled splash are chicks, though and get their first set of "adult" feathers, they seem to have the white chest that mottleds have until they molt out those feathers. I have heard some people say that mottled splash cochins will be too light/white colored to show, but I know Mandy/The Cochin Coop shows her splash, that I *think* are mottled, and she seems to do well with them.

Awesome article! --------> https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/punnett-squares

Amy, I found this awesome article about the difference between Self-Blue (called Lavender in many breeds, but cochin people seem to get crabby if you call it that, but it is the same thing) and Blue Genetics. I'm degreed in Biology, so it comes a little easier for me since I am familiar with the Punnett square concept in genetics. Just keep in mind that each parent bird has a possibility passing on one of two of their specific color genes to their offspring. The birds on the inside of the Punnett squares are the offspring of the two birds on the outside, so you can work out what percent of what you should end up with, statistically. So if Rascal is split to Self-Blue/Lavender, he is "Ll" whereas a light grey looking cochin of yours is represented by "LL" because the gene is recessive and needs two capital letter (L=lavender/self blue) genes to be shown "phenotypically" that is, what can be seen with your eyes.

Their mottled Punnett squares are kind of confusing. Not sure why they show a brown bird for mottled, or why they show spots on a mottled/black cross since their babies would appear blacks, but carry the mottled gene. I guess you just need to know what the chicken symbols represent in the mottled example, rather than assuming they would actually look like the picture. I hope this helps you and anyone else who would like a better idea of what is going on with their breeding programs.

Last edited:
Well put. Yes two separate genes, with separate effects. Blue is incompletely dominant hence the fact that you get Blue, splash and black from these breedings. Self blue is a more apt description then lavender. lavender is the gene. Self blue means that the colour breeds true.

The phenotype or looks are similar too to confuse matters further. One you get a grasp on the basics the rest comes easily.

Again nice description.

Back
Top Bottom