Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

Pics

Young Spangle/Mottle breeding pair.... this year with selective breeding we only seen one rooster with these red/brown feathers. These slowly diminish after each generation just as they experts predicted. We feel our Spangle/Mottle line is getting stronger with selective breeding and time. We have just started our 4th generation of breeding these beautiful chickens!

How would you breed a mottled/spangled orp? JubileeXblack orps

NO.

You should NEVER by any means/under any circumstances use Jubilees to breed more/recreate/outcross to Mottled birds.

Doing so will introduce unwanted genes that will lurk in your "Mottled" birds for a very, very long time. The resulting birds will have color faults and will not breed true.

The only way to breed for Mottled Orps is to breed Mottled X Mottled or Mottled X Black, breeding the F1 offspring together or back to the parent Mottled bird to produce visually Mottled F3 birds.

NO.

You should NEVER by any means/under any circumstances use Jubilees to breed more/recreate/outcross to Mottled birds.

Doing so will introduce unwanted genes that will lurk in your "Mottled" birds for a very, very long time. The resulting birds will have color faults and will not breed true.

The only way to breed for Mottled Orps is to breed Mottled X Mottled or Mottled X Black, breeding the F1 offspring together or back to the parent Mottled bird to produce visually Mottled F3 birds.
Ok I think I'm gonna buy mottled eggs and was wondering if I could put them in with my black orp or my jubilee thanks

NO.

thumbsup.gif
Well said.

Can I breed TRUE mottled orps if I get a mottled bird (hen or rooster) and a black bird?

Yes.

Mottled X Black = 100% Black offspring, recessively carrying the Mottled gene. These birds might have "spots" when they are young, but will loose most, if not all when they mature.

Breed the offspring together, F1 X F1, OR breed the F1 to the Mottled parent bird and in your F2 generation you will produce visually Mottled offspring. These birds can be considered pure Mottled and when bred together will produce 100% Mottled progeny.

Back
Top Bottom