Moving chickens to FL

Blessedthistle

Chirping
Oct 25, 2018
NJ
Hello,
I am supposed to be moving to my new house in FL with all my pets. The trip has been delayed for months because of everything from not being able to find a horse trailer, blizzards, family illness, Covid, business trips to a recent death in the family. Now that I’m finally ready to go I find out how complicated to move my non-equine pets. So I have 4 pet chickens, traveling from NJ, which as far as I can tell is an AI safe state. So I think I just need to fill out the FL USDA permit form, but it asks for a lot of veterinary info that I do not have. My chickens don’t have a vet! Does anyone know if they are supposed to get an exam? I am just getting the runaround from various agencies and not getting answers. I appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer.

Legally, you need a CVI - Certificate of Vetrinary Inspection - or a VS 9-3 for each of your birds, every time you cross a state line. Call around, Poultry Vets are RARE, but if you contact your local 4H club or the people who organize your County Faires, they may have a name for you. Barring it, contact your Dept of Agriculture.

Respectfully disagree with the suggestion offered by @Barred Rock Mama . While my politics lean that way, now is NOT the time to be conveying uninspected livestock across the country - though at least they will largely protected from further risk inside the horse trailer, and the trailer itself is unlikely to become a disease vecxtor travelling down the road the way farm trucks were in CA, a decade or so back...

Legally, you need a CVI - Certificate of Vetrinary Inspection - or a VS 9-3 for each of your birds, every time you cross a state line. Call around, Poultry Vets are RARE, but if you contact your local 4H club or the people who organize your County Faires, they may have a name for you. Barring it, contact your Dept of Agriculture.

Respectfully disagree with the suggestion offered by @Barred Rock Mama . While my politics lean that way, now is NOT the time to be conveying uninspected livestock across the country - though at least they will largely protected from further risk inside the horse trailer, and the trailer itself is unlikely to become a disease vecxtor travelling down the road the way farm trucks were in CA, a decade or so back...
What I’m not understanding is that I can get this CVI and then they could literally get sick with something by the time I
leave, especially if I get delayed again. I’d think they would have to be checked right before I go, which is going to be impossible to orchestrate. With the horses it is hard enough. The stress of how complicated this is is killing me. This has already been the hardest year ever. I don’t want to give up my animals

What I’m not understanding is that I can get this CVI and then they could literally get sick with something by the time I
leave, especially if I get delayed again. I’d think they would have to be checked right before I go, which is going to be impossible to orchestrate. With the horses it is hard enough. The stress of how complicated this is is killing me. This has already been the hardest year ever. I don’t want to give up my animals
I understand, and yes, usually within a day or three of when you leave. Not to add to your stress, simply offering up what the rules are

Hello,
I am supposed to be moving to my new house in FL with all my pets. The trip has been delayed for months because of everything from not being able to find a horse trailer, blizzards, family illness, Covid, business trips to a recent death in the family. Now that I’m finally ready to go I find out how complicated to move my non-equine pets. So I have 4 pet chickens, traveling from NJ, which as far as I can tell is an AI safe state. So I think I just need to fill out the FL USDA permit form, but it asks for a lot of veterinary info that I do not have. My chickens don’t have a vet! Does anyone know if they are supposed to get an exam? I am just getting the runaround from various agencies and not getting answers. I appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer.
I just moved to Florida myself lol from Utah.. I didn’t know their was any AG stuff. There are only 2 states in the country who have this nonsense. Calif and Florida it’s not even at the state line it’s halfway down Florida😂 needless to say me and my animals all made it I’ll leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom