multi strain meat bird breeding mix

I am going to start a project this year. Going to be using some marans. Some dixie rainbows. Some leghorns. And some isa in my mix may even try to breed in some auto sexing

Love the pic!!!!! Not sure leghorns would ever add beef like that!!! Although I have to say I do have a couple of DC X Leghorns...lol I know.. Why? Well I had a hen go broody and I had never tried to hatch leghorns so I let said hen have a go at it.. I have 2. Pullet is small like leghorn and stag is fairly beefy. Going to raise pullet and see how she lays and the stag is going to be eaten when he matures.

Love the pic!!!!! Not sure leghorns would ever add beef like that!!! Although I have to say I do have a couple of DC X Leghorns...lol I know.. Why? Well I had a hen go broody and I had never tried to hatch leghorns so I let said hen have a go at it.. I have 2. Pullet is small like leghorn and stag is fairly beefy. Going to raise pullet and see how she lays and the stag is going to be eaten when he matures.

That's interesting too.
thumbsup.gif

anyone try breeding non-cornish to get a small table bird? im starting with bantams, they mature faster for one thing, another thing is they are less likely to get nabbed by a predator, my hopes (i dont yet know if its possible) is to slowly get them to JUST the right size to lay a small/normal sized egg, only lay 3/5 a week, and put on good meat but still be able to fly short distances...

my medly was specifically culled for their traits that were strongest...

The blue rosecomb hen is a great flier, and is jumpy, but has a large breast, developed a little slow for a bantie, the roosters i had were aggressive, and were true survivors, i had one escape and live outside unprotected in the woods (we have 2 owls, atleast one hawk, several coons, and a med/large size pack of yotes that we hear most nights in that area) he was out there for 2 or 3 weeks and when i finally managed to coax him back to the barn he haddn't lost any weight, we found plenty of food...

I have a pair of dutch millies the rooster isnt impressive, other than hes adorable lol.. but that hen... shes a brick house, shes by far the most breasty bird ive had i call her my DD lol and the color is great camo, so Sr. Capetian Boots gets to stay too :p

i have 3 standard sized NH crossed to old english, i want to try and retain some laying power and they are a larger bantam and lay large bantam eggs, they are calmer by far, all 3 look different, one looks like a min NH, one is white lol but same body type, and the other looks like a cartoon hen wearing an apron lol no joke... shes got a big breast and big legs and idk, a tiny waist, shes cute lol and my best layer...

i have a silky roo whom im undecided on... I thought about darkening the skin on my birds to help prevent sunburn, like why im going to all rose/pea combs, and small/no waddles to prevent frost bite...

I also have my largest roo, hes an EE, father was a pure Am. his mother, believe it or not was like a 2lb jap bantie lol... poor girl he REALLY liked her i have to separate them but i got eggs first i never even thought he tagged her... but im hoping he will help increase size...

then i have a couple cochin banti girls, they are setters exclusive i want to get away from the incubator if at all possible atleast for spring/summer/fall hatches and ill do winter ones in the house...

but ive been looking for either hatching eggs, or chicks that are Cx but not the readily available ones ... OP do you think you have anything you'd be willing to ship? probably eggs when its warmer due to the distance i do want to see what i can get while keeping cornish out of it, but on the side id be nice to have something we could be using sooner lol... Currently i breed these guys to feed my dog, whos on a PMR diet, i just kill, pluck and serve lol but if they get too big, i have to cut it up, i like the banties i have right now cause if i miss the kill date they are still pretty small, but id be thrilled if when they went over, we could get a meal out of one too :p

Back
Top Bottom