Murray McMurray hatchery???????

These are my two Black Aussies that I purchased from that hatchery in August at maybe 18-20 weeks at the photo taken.

This was them when they came in the mail.
They had another brother, and the hatchery gave me a White Leghorn also, but they both died within days of getting them. The other Black Aussie was crushed under the bedding you see above, and the White Leghorn was sick. But Kyle (the blonde faced one) and Krule (the black faced one) grew up just as happy and healthy as chickens could be.

And this is Krule at 24 weeks old, however him and Kyle are fully mature and are currently 27 weeks old.
In summary,
My BAs are my first chickens ever, I got them for an SAE project for my AgBio class. I now know that I in love with chickens and the cycle of their growth, it's so much fun to be around them and care for them. Buying from a hatchery was a good choice, for the sake that I wanted a pure bred chicken to save the issue of having to figure out the sex and the breed for fair. Although I lost two of them at that days that I got them, I will still buy again from hatcheries.

So far I have about 33% survival rate from McMurray. They arrived sick with something that killed most of them over the first week here. They are in the same heated garage under the same heat lamp as all the other chicks we have bought over the last several years, so I'm confident it wasn't their environment after arriving. Also, since they died slowly and steadily over several days, I think it's clear it wasn't due to cold, etc. I know others have had good results, and I'm happy for them, but I wouldn't send my money to McMurray.

So far I have about 33% survival rate from McMurray. They arrived sick with something that killed most of them over the first week here. They are in the same heated garage under the same heat lamp as all the other chicks we have bought over the last several years, so I'm confident it wasn't their environment after arriving. Also, since they died slowly and steadily over several days, I think it's clear it wasn't due to cold, etc. I know others have had good results, and I'm happy for them, but I wouldn't send my money to McMurray.

The arrived sick but you make no mention of having contacted the hatchery to help you sort out your problem you simply won't do business with them because of what you perceive to be ...... what, exactly? What sort of chicks did you get? Much of the US is getting nailed by blizzards and artic air and you have day olds arriving by mail but it is easy to blame the hatchery for your misfortune while doing nothing about it. Of course it is too late now to contact the hatchery but they immediately offered to replace/credit me for one of my chicks arriving with nothing more severe than a broken toe. No fuss, they were happy to do it. I would never have found that out though if I just blamed and wrote them off. Best wishes.

I first ordered chicks from Murray McMurray in 1980 and have ordered
several times since then. Never a misstep of any kind.

I did contact McMuarray, and the first response was very weak and unhelpful. However, after I reached back out the them, they called me and took excellent care of me. I suspect the first response was just a cut and paste job of a standard response when someone complains about losing a chick or two. However, once they looked into it a bit more deeply, they called me personally and made a deal with me that was more than fair to me. It was still a rough encounter, but as I told her on the phone, I know they normally send out good chicks, because most people have had good results with them. Barring some unforeseen problem in the future, I would no longer recommend against buying from them. They clearly care about making sure people are satisfied, and they obviously produce a lot of quality, healthy chicks as evidenced by the good reports from many people.

Received 33 birds 3/29 and we have had 2 fatalities and one not looking so good within 72 hours of receipt. I have never had a problem in the past with McMurray, and they were quick to respond with a credit when I called the first day. I am just wondering if anyone else is having a problem with their orders/ black sex links. I lost one "orange" one and one sex link, and one sex link we're trying to nurse to health. We're not novices, brooder is clean, warm, and plenty of food/water. Just not sure why we've lost so many so quickly.

Quite honestly, I'm surprised any of them make it through the mail, especially in late winter and early spring.
I got 25 BO's from Murray at the start of March.
My surprise chick gave up before he arrived.

In the next number of days, I lost a total of 8.
I think a few were crushed due to some piling, and the others just kinda glossed over and died.
They were eating and drinking just fine, temp was comfortable, it was like they just OD'd slowly went under.

Murray was just fine offering me my money back or credit. I chose credit because I know I'll get more.

Personally, I think 25 one day old chicks stuffed in an envelope, and mailed from Iowainia, and 17 living through the whole thing, is pretty darn good odds.
Especially considering the condition that some of my other packages arrive in.

I have no complaints.

Received 26 red stars about two weeks ago. I was a little concerned when I picked up the box at the PO as the vocalizations suggested they were stressed. Once home opened the box into the brooder and it was like pop corn, everyone running and jumping around, immediately eating and drinking. Zero losses, zero pasty butt, zero complaints. Personality of the birds range from casual indifference to me to extremely friendly. I think McMurray does a fine job and have ordered from them numerous times in the past.

Still early, but I had the
Received 26 red stars about two weeks ago. I was a little concerned when I picked up the box at the PO as the vocalizations suggested they were stressed. Once home opened the box into the brooder and it was like pop corn, everyone running and jumping around, immediately eating and drinking. Zero losses, zero pasty butt, zero complaints. Personality of the birds range from casual indifference to me to extremely friendly. I think McMurray does a fine job and have ordered from them numerous times in the past.

It's still early, but I have the same initial impression as you. I picked up my four chicks this morning from the Post Office. Two Barred Rocks and two Easter Eggers. I purchased the 4 week olds, but these are 5-6 weeks. Chirping quite a bit as I carried the box, quieted down in the truck, until I hit slight bumps, then chirped loudly. Got home, took them one at a time to brush their beaks on the nipple waterer. Put them in the temp coop, and they each took off to the food dish. Left them alone for a few hours. Came back and checked the water bottle, and the level had dropped 2" or so. So, they appear to have some energy and are eating and drinking.

im so worried about mine, going on three days since my shipment notification and still no chicks. my fingers are seriously crossed they arrive in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom