Muscovy duck Q&A

Pics
I believe the reason it was elastic like a balloon was because it sat in water and just became soluble. I don't know if they sat on them,. But with this cold weather could one even start to develop or by sitting on them do u mean introducing some kind of bacteria. If the latter, is that even possible with the bloom being that it's design is to block bacteria so the embryo survives?

Not to sound contradictive to your advice,. I'm just new to this and trying to learn what I don't know. So trying to find out the cons to leaving eggs in coop and collecting a few days later

The elastic looking could have come from being in the water, I thought of that after I posted. I definitely wouldn't eat that one :D

They can definitely start to develop if a hen sat on them for any extended length of time, even in this cold. (I have a broody Chicken hen right now, due later this week) If they get too cold, mine usually burst when they freeze.

Do your ducks lay eggs inside or outside? Mine lay outside, so I can usually tell the dirtier eggs are days older lol. But maybe crack a couple open and check them, or just err on the side of caution and toss them out. :idunno

I believe the reason it was elastic like a balloon was because it sat in water and just became soluble. I don't know if they sat on them,. But with this cold weather could one even start to develop or by sitting on them do u mean introducing some kind of bacteria. If the latter, is that even possible with the bloom being that it's design is to block bacteria so the embryo survives?

She means if the ducks started going broody and sat on them long enough to develop... bloom can get rubbed off, but bet those eggs are just fine... easy way to check, just crack them into a bowl and check them first before using them... if they look or smell off or you don't feel right about them, then just toss them... :)

She means if the ducks started going broody and sat on them long enough to develop... bloom can get rubbed off, but bet those eggs are just fine... easy way to check, just crack them into a bowl and check them first before using them... if they look or smell off or you don't feel right about them, then just toss them... :)

:highfive:

T

The elastic looking could have come from being in the water, I thought of that after I posted. I definitely wouldn't eat that one :D

They can definitely start to develop if a hen sat on them for any extended length of time, even in this cold. (I have a broody Chicken hen right now, due later this week) If they get too cold, mine usually burst when they freeze.

Do your ducks lay eggs inside or outside? Mine lay outside, so I can usually tell the dirtier eggs are days older lol. But maybe crack a couple open and check them, or just err on the side of caution and toss them out. :idunno[/quote

They lay in the yard in a plastic dog house I put in there for them to get out of the weather when they don't want to be in the coop

Lol k thanks I was sure that's what she meant but just making sure being that I'm new to this.

T

Do your ducks lay eggs inside or outside? Mine lay outside, so I can usually tell the dirtier eggs are days older lol. But maybe crack a couple open and check them, or just err on the side of caution and toss them out. :idunno[/quote

They lay in the yard in a plastic dog house I put in there for them to get out of the weather when they don't want to be in the coop

Wow just accidentally found out I can add to your post just by hitting quote and then deleting the word quote at the end. Huh. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom