Muscovy duck Q&A

Pics
So,. I hear muscovies hatch in 35 days but then I hear 33 days but then I hear 37 days. Then I hear they need to be in lockdown for the last 3 days with humidity at 80 percent. So what's real if I choose to believe 33 days i need to lock down at 30 days and raise humidity to 80 but then if they wouldn't hatch till 37 days then I've just killed them by having humidity so high for 7 days

Now if I choose to believe 35 or 37 days that puts lockdown at 32 to 34 days and if they would have hatched at 33 I've just killed them cause their egg shells are to tough to break and they suffocate. Help me out people what's real in your experience. I understand it probably varies depending on average temp throughout incubation but what's the trick to figuring out the sweet spot. The right time to lock down and raise humidity

35 is the general average... slightly higher temps cause 33, slightly lower temps 37...

Just stop turning at about 31 or 32 days... candle the eggs still though... when you see the air cell dip (this is a drastic slant, easy to see) then that means they are turning to get into position for hatching... up the humidity then and you should be just fine...

35 is the general average... slightly higher temps cause 33, slightly lower temps 37...

Just stop turning at about 31 or 32 days... candle the eggs still though... when you see the air cell dip (this is a drastic slant, easy to see) then that means they are turning to get into position for hatching... up the humidity then and you should be just fine...

Thanks that's the answer I needed I'll watch for it.

Now new question just read an article on the deep litter method. What's your take on this. Anyone welcome to chime in...

Thanks that's the answer I needed I'll watch for it.

Now new question just read an article on the deep litter method. What's your take on this. Anyone welcome to chime in...
I have used deep litter for about 10 yrs and love it. With water fowl I just go into their house daily and scoop out wet poop, Turn bedding Done. add as needed. Actually same with chickens too if you have them. My ducks and goose use the deep bedding to lay their eggs in also. So turning the shaving daily helps find those eggs they can hide so well.

I have used deep litter for about 10 yrs and love it. With water fowl I just go into their house daily and scoop out wet poop, Turn bedding Done. add as needed.  Actually same with chickens too if you have them.  My ducks and goose use the deep bedding to lay their eggs in also. So turning the shaving daily helps find those eggs they can hide so well.

Thank you what do you use for yours. The article I read they use pine shavings and diatomaceous earth. Whatever that is and don't know where I can even get that. They say the D.E. helps to speed up the drying of the poop.

Thank you what do you use for yours. The article I read they use pine shavings and diatomaceous earth. Whatever that is and don't know where I can even get that. They say the D.E. helps to speed up the drying of the poop.

Oh and they say it keeps the fly population to a minimum and helps with the smell. And by going with the deep litter method do you have any problems with mice I assume they would love the hell out of all that warmth.

Think I'm going to use this method. It is extremely cold and dry here at night and in the mornings. I think this will help my birds stay warm especially my little silkie hen.

Most feed stores carry diatomaceous earth... and while it does help dry out the poop quicker for the most part, the fine dust particles can be much more harmful if regularly inhaled by the ducks...

Might look into Sweet PDZ or 'Stall Fresh' instead... it's more granular and not as dusty... but really, I prefer to keep it just plain shavings myself as well...

Back
Top Bottom