Muscovy duck Q&A

Pics
Ok with hatching coming any day now,. Just a question... I hear people say for lockdown I should have humidity at 80 percent ( wet bulb method) or 40 percent ( dry bulb method). What does this mean,. What is wet bulb vs dry bulb mean and why does the humidity need to differ between them

It's a totally different method of measuring relative humidity. Wet bulb is measured in degrees, not percent. Maybe this chart will help

09-5-2Poul2.gif

Last edited:
@crandal any hatchlings yet?

I just hatched 3 over the period of one week. I kept the humidity at 70 to 80 and this was the best hatch I've had.
fl.gif
for yours.

@crandal
any hatchlings yet?

I just hatched 3 over the period of one week.  I kept the humidity at 70 to 80 and this was the best hatch I've had. :fl for yours.

So I had a last minute need to head up to salt lake this weekend stressful cause it's so close to hatch day. Anyway the way up was a success I used the hand warmer packs to keep them warm

Well,. On the way down I did the same thing with a different brand and they felt good so I loaded eggs and new warmers into box and headed down to southern Utah and half hour later checked them and OMG they were burning hot... Grrr. Killed them all except 1.

Long story short,. I reach 35 day mark tomorrow,. So it should hatch. But,. It doesn't look like it's shifted yet the beak isn't in the air cell yet and there are still veins around the shell instead of in the baby. But it's definitely alive I see it moving

Should I just leave it be,. I'm so confused I don't know what to do but I'll be ****** if I don't get the only one left to hatch... Advice anyone?

Last edited:
So sorry!! :hugs

Were these from your own ducks?

Yea they were. This was my first attempt at hatching just surprised I made it that far. I had 6 healthy babies moving like crazy till I took that trip up north then I messed up by not checking the eggs in the box on the way down for the first 45 minutes which basically cooked them 3 days before hatch,. And the only one that survived I had hope for but determined that even though it survived,. The heat shrink wrapped the aircell around it so it couldn't hatch. I think I should have trusted my gut and opened the aircell 4 days ago to moisten the membrane. It was moving until 2 days ago.

Yea they were. This was my first attempt at hatching just surprised I made it that far. I had 6 healthy babies moving like crazy till I took that trip up north then I messed up by not checking the eggs in the box on the way down for the first 45 minutes which basically cooked them 3 days before hatch,. And the only one that survived I had hope for but determined that even though it survived,. The heat shrink wrapped the aircell around it so it couldn't hatch. I think I should have trusted my gut and opened the aircell 4 days ago to moisten the membrane. It was moving until 2 days ago.

Don't beat yourself up, that may not have made a difference either... I have not had success opening any air cells up before an internal pip, j/s...

You learned and can move ahead... don't let it discourage you from trying again, just try to plan for no long trips during the incubation timeframe... :)

Back
Top Bottom