My "broiler" chickens -pics-

Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Someone's having WAY too much fun today!
gig.gif

gig.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Hey- I can prove I didn't do that! Otherwise it would have shown the post was edited!
tongue2.gif
gig.gif

They are still doing well!
smile.png
I get an egg almost everyday, and often I get two! Greta's laid a couple of HUGE double yolkers. She had an impacted crop last Sunday from eating too much grass after her dinner, bad girl, so they've been cooped up for a bit while she's getting back on solid food. But other than that George and Greta are still healthy, and have lost a bit more weight too. Now I can feel their keel bones without the excess layer of meat, so I think they've reached their ideal weight.
I've got some BR chicks on order, and I plan on choosing two of the gentlest girls and integrating them with George and Greta. I'll give the four of them their own separate coop and run so I can still manage George and Greta's feed, and that way I won't have to worry about one of them being lonely if something happens to the other one. The rest of the new chicks will have their own coop and run.
So hopefully that will work out well and George and Greta will have a couple of new friends and continue to be happy and healthy!

Quote:
I noticed on your signature- is there really a Star Wars chicken parody? That is something I would definitely be interested in seeing!
lol.png

I crush one daily low dose aspirin (81mg) into their 2 liter water bowl, so half a gallon. The low dose is equal to about a quarter of a regular strength aspirin. (325mg) So you could also use one regular strength aspirin per 2 gallons of water.
Keep in mind I only tried this as a last resort when my birds were panting badly. However, they are 23 weeks old and I still use it with no ill effects. But it's still experimental and I don't know if there are any side effects that just aren't visible, so use your discretion.
smile.png

What a wonderful story. Years ago my brother and I accidentally picked up two of these from the local farm store. We named them Big Alice and Big Momma. We made them free range during the day and hardly gave feed because they plumped up too fast. They were very sweet and loved to be petted and followed us to the back door every day.

A neighbor's dog broke into the pen and killed all our chickens. We gave up on the idea of having chickens. A month later we were standing out in the yard throwing bird seed to the robins and out of the bushes came Big Alice with 10 large chicks (1/2 Jersey Giant). We had no idea she even laid eggs.

I've thought about getting two again to have a Big Alice/Big Momma v2 because they were the sweetest big birds. You've done a good job with them. Never thought about aspirin because they too went through a period where I thought they would fall dead.

Last edited:
Wow, you must have been so happy to see Big Alice again, with chicks! That's incredible, what were her babies like? Did they share any of the cornish X characteristics? They must have grown up to be huge, half jersey giant.
That's awful about the dog, all your chickens gone, how devastating. Did Big Alice and her chicks help rebuild everything?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom