My Emu hatching thread (come join me)

What do you DO with an Emu? I know some people eat them. I wonder what their eggs taste like... Hm..

I know there used to be Emu Farms near Opelika, and when the market for them died, the farmers just let them all go! My dad told me he nearly hit one while on his way home one night!

Don they get HUGE? Like an ostrich? I can just see an Emu squeezing in to my chicken coop to roost with the hens...
lau.gif
gig.gif
Haha, I crack myself up....

7205_bugonyourbutt.jpg

7205_chickenbreeds_180.jpg

7205_elmo_vs_dakota_-_24mar09_070.jpg

One of my larger mini's, one of the GP's and one of our Emu playing.......

They don't get as big or as heavy as an Ostrich, only about 125-150 lbs on average and about 5-6' to top of the head. They are also much nicer tempered then Ostrich from what I'm told (never had Ostriches) We use ours as livestock guardians and all around entertainment...LOL They are also kind of slow growing, our are about 2 years old and just nearing their adult size.

Last edited:
I got my egg off ebay. There are several hatching eggs up for sale on there now. You can also see if you have an emu farm or breeder in your area if you want chicks or eggs locally
smile.png

Quote:
thanks! I don't have the means to hatch them unfortunately...and I'm sure I'd get some weird looks if I had emu eggs duct taped to my stomach for 35 days! LOL

They do fit in most bators
wink.png

BTW, its around 50 days LOL

Quote:
thanks! I don't have the means to hatch them unfortunately...and I'm sure I'd get some weird looks if I had emu eggs duct taped to my stomach for 35 days! LOL

They do fit in most bators
wink.png

BTW, its around 50 days LOL

Uh oh...they fit in most 'bators, huh? Hmmm....50 days? I remember hatching out reptiles...some of those took FOREVER!

Back
Top Bottom