My first try!! Day 18

My first one that hatched is black too :) but I don't have any black roosters

That's great news that the chick hatched its own :D

As for it being black that can be down to what the parent birds breed is. I'm not very good on genetics etc but you can cross differing breed/s colours and not get what either parent bird is. Do you have any action from any other eggs?

Currently have two hatched but the second one had some stuff attached to it. It's still there just dried up and I didn't touch him. Is it just from inside the shell and will it be ok? I have two more pips, 3 eggs with nothing so far. My rooster is a barred rock and I have a light Sussex or Delaware (not sure, I got it for free when it was a baby) and red stars. So far both are black! So I'm assuming they'll look just like daddy! Which I what I hoped for!!

Sounds like the umbilical could still have been attached. This can sometimes happen but they tend to dry up and fall off by them selves. If it's not coming out of its butt it could just be general hatch gunk. If it's the umbilical just leave it be and don't pull it, this could cause the innards to come out of your chick.

Congrats :clap

Sounds like the umbilical could still have been attached. This can sometimes happen but they tend to dry up and fall off by them selves. If it's not coming out of its butt it could just be general hatch gunk. If it's the umbilical just leave it be and don't pull it, this could cause the innards to come out of your chick.

Congrats :clap
Thanks so much. The more I look at it it did look like an umbilical cord of sorts. It's been drying up. Also another question! The chicks are running around running into other eggs. Will this affect the other trying to hatch or is that just part of Mother Nature?!

Your others will be fine, this is what would happen in nature. I've not had problems with them bashing them about and it's gets pretty full in my bator ~

That's great news that the chick hatched its own :D

Two other peeped last night

As for it being black that can be down to what the parent birds breed is. I'm not very good on genetics etc but you can cross differing breed/s colours and not get what either parent bird is. Do you have any action from any other eggs?

Whoops.. I meant to reply to this one. I was wondering what type of incubator was in that photo.

Thanks so much. The more I look at it it did look like an umbilical cord of sorts. It's been drying up. Also another question! The chicks are running around running into other eggs. Will this affect the other trying to hatch or is that just part of Mother Nature?!
How did your hatch go? How many chicks do you have today? I'm getting ready to put some in the incubator so I'm getting excited.

Back
Top Bottom