My gig may be up, beginning to unravel

zengrrl

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Oakland County, MI
So I moved from suburbia, which allowed chickens to a rural neighborhood that ummm....doesn't. Only I had no idea bc there are chickens and pheasants all around and dammit I moved out of the city so I could have some privacy and freedome....yeah. I called city hall to inquire about roo's as I can see there being something about a roo. I was floored to hear that 1.5 acres for 1 bird and 1/2 for every bird after. I have barely enough for one bird, legally but I have 5 silkies. I freaked out, talked to people in my area who assured me no one would bother my birds, MRTFA etc.

So we had been rehabbing a dog kennel on our property to turn it into something useful, in this case chickens. Well. I got a letter in the mail that stated code enforcement would be taking exterior photos of our neighborhood for property values. I'm floored. I've never heard of such a thing and I've lived a whole lotta places. I even called them and said ((not true)) that I had a bunch of hysterical teenagers home for the summer and they'd already called 911 on the meter man and just so I could tell them, would the truck be a marked city truck etc etc. She told me she would be in a city truck and just pull up into the driveway to take pictures. Well....I have a loooooong drive but if you pull up to the house, there's my outbuilding, with no permit pulled and brand new walls up. And inside those walls are 5 silkies chickens.

I think I'm going to hide my silkies in the garage and try to wait this out. I mean the worst they can do is regarding the permit NOT being pulled, is make us tear it down. I'm going to go with the whole, it was like this when we bought the place 5 months ago.. If we have to tear it down dh will have to build me a smaller more discreet chicken coop, maybe up alongside the shed and out of view of any one.

Who'd a thought chickens would be so much darn trouble! they are not for the weak of heart for sure!

Maybe, it won't be all that bad.

In this county, from time to time, they come by to 'reassess". If your real esteate purchase was only 5-months ago, it could be just the normal cycle and not related at all to your chickens. Good idea to keep them hidden in the garage until after the 'event'.

Hopefully and possibly the assessment and the chickens are totally unrelated. You can continue to finish your new 'tool shed' or 'garden shed' or how ever you name it...and say it was like that when purchased. Even if you have to get a permit. And then maybe they will never bother you again. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom