MY HEN CROWS!!!!

My buff laced sebright pullet has been trying to crow for months. I give her credit for trying, but it sounds like she is in agonizing pain. The boys all come to see what is wrong with her. It is hilarious!

All of my hens crow when they have chicks while out foraging. Such crowing is not indicative of problems, rather it is a natural dispersing mechanism that helps the broody hens with chicks to avoid each other. The sound of mine is not as complex as that produced by roosters although some hens do produce a crowing sound that is more rooster like than others. Stress such as when pens are moved around can cause a temporary increase in crowing frequency. I have seen hens of others crow without being broody which differs from what I see in my birds. Genetics appears to be important with respect to this behavior.

Last edited:
I am amazed by my girls on a regular basis.. My family and I are saving for a piece of property where all animals are welcome. Im getting closer to having the deposit needed.We will have a small animal rescue. right now my mom and I live side by side in a mobile home park.I am not permitted to do much of anything here but I have my ways LOL.Just a couple years to go and there will be MANY chickens!

I've been reading about this. And a lot of people are saying if there is no rooster, a female may take on the dominant role and start crowing. I have 4 roosters, and I have a hen that lays eggs and sits on the nest, and crows all day long.

HAHAHA we have a hatchery so we have lots of birds and we have a hen that crows as well. First time ever. Its a Olive Egger hen and there are two roosters in that coop so she isnt replacing the roosters she just crows. It a very bad crow but funny enough she crows ALOT, more than most of our roosters. Im going to have to get a video of it, will be easy enough to catch because she does it all the time.

We have 14 laying hens and about a month ago our Australorp started crowing. I thought that maybe she was trying to pull a reverse Caitlyn Jenner, but she continues to produce about 5 eggs a week. It's not a full rooster crow, but close enough that it's obviously a crow. It sounds kinda like, "Root-a-roo." Apparently, it's not all that uncommon, but it's very funny!

My 5 year old Aricauna HEN (she lays wonderful bluish eggs) started crowing a few years ago. I keep missing a chance to video her crowing. I am so happy to see that other people have crowing hens too.. Anyone I tell this to thinks I am imagining it!

My hen is the gentlest and sweetest hen.. She is not aggressive just because she crows. She has the run of the garden and I carry her to her cage at night. She snuggles under my arm and falls asleep and then I put her in the cage. She definitely crows and mostly in the morning to remind me that she wants to be let out of the cage!! I am not crazy!

Back
Top Bottom