MY HEN CROWS!!!!

My hen is the gentlest and sweetest hen.. She is not aggressive just because she crows. She has the run of the garden and I carry her to her cage at night. She snuggles under my arm and falls asleep and then I put her in the cage. She definitely crows and mostly in the morning to remind me that she wants to be let out of the cage!! I am not crazy!
I am just curious....Do you only have one chicken? If so, that to me is incredible, Chicken math got ahold of me before I even got started!! LOL

My top hen started doing this about a month ago when I brought 3 newbie pullets into the flock. My worry is that my neighbors are gonna force me to cull her. She is an egg laying machine and a friendly, smart hen. I want to coax her to stop before they force me to "make" her stop. :(

I kept chickens going on 10 years and never owned a rooster. This last winter I was down to two hens before I ordered 4 more pullets. At dawn one morning I heard what sounded like a gurgled crow of a rooster coming from one of my hens (this was just before I bought the 4other hens) and thought something was seriously wrong with one of them so I jumped out of bed and went outside to find her walking around just find. She did this several other times before I got the news girls. Only a few times and only in the morning, she was also about 7 years old and never have any of my hens including her show this behavior before. She never tried to mount the only other hen I had at that time. When I got the 4 new Easter Egger pullets low and behold almost from the beginning that the bottom of the rung hen named Spaz (she's simply nuts) starts crowing in the morning sounding again like the other hen like a drowning rooster crowing. Not nearly as loud as a rooster would be. I will see her crow even during the day. She never mounts a hen as she is still bottom of the pecking order, just crows from time to time even stretching out her neck like a rooster. The other hen that was doing it stopped (she's top of the pecking order. Very weird.

I'm so glad I found this thread! I had never heard of this before! Our 5-yr-old Silver Aeracauna, Ruth, who lays smooth white eggs, is our rooster's girlfriend. They have hung-out together for years and usually perch together too. This morning I was out there at early dawn and the rooster crowed, like normal. Then I heard another strange-sounding crow and wondered what strange bird snuck into our coop! On the 3rd time, I discovered it was Ruth! The other hens were still "lying" on their perch, but she was standing up tall right next to her friend the rooster, echoing his crows! She sounded like a rooster sounds the first time he tries it -- muffled, high and incomplete. I was so shocked, I walked all the way back to the house with my mouth wide open . . .

We've got a barred rock hen (Black Chick) (just over a year old) who is the clear boss chicken in the flock (no roos). On two occasions in the last month, we've incorporated mature birds into our existing flock. Each time, Black Chick has crowed. I can only assume she is establishing herself as the head honcho in the eyes of the newbies. Her crow is really funny!

My pullets are about 4 mths old, and my top chick, a RIR crows. She hasn't even laid her first egg, but I've posted their pictures and everyone agreed they're all pullets

. She usually only does it at dawn, it's not as loud as a full-blown rooster crow, but it's a definate crow! I've watched and she doesn't appear to be trying to grow spurs. I'm just worried she won't ever lay, because she'll be my top producer (judging by how RIR's are ranked)...

My pullets are about 4 mths old, and my top chick, a RIR crows. She hasn't even laid her first egg, but I've posted their pictures and everyone agreed they're all pullets

. She usually only does it at dawn, it's not as loud as a full-blown rooster crow, but it's a definate crow! I've watched and she doesn't appear to be trying to grow spurs. I'm just worried she won't ever lay, because she'll be my top producer (judging by how RIR's are ranked)...

Can you post a better pic of it?

Back
Top Bottom