My JUMBO Italian Celadon Project

Gold eggs in the incubator!! They arrived yesterday and I let them settle for 12 hours or so. They should be 4-5 days old. The package was in perfect condition (unlike last time). I looked at the air sacs and they weren't scrambled (unlike last time:(). He gave me 5 extra eggs so 30 gold eggs in the incubator. NO CRACKED EGGS! They really have the shipping down. Ive never gotten a cracked egg from them. Just last time some point in delivery the package was almost destroyed. Anyways, Im very hopeful. I cant wait! Im considering buying a second incubator and going ahead to buy some celadon eggs and hatch those out so I don't have to wait 18 days until I get them. Just maybe saving a bit of time. I have been using a NR 360 with a quail egg turner I bought from someone on Etsy. Anyone have a quail subtable incubator they really like?
unnamed-7.jpg

Have you had better luck with crossing Manchurians to certain colors for the best Italian than others? Like Egyptians or wilds or something.
Well it depends what you want, and what the birds carry. If you cross manchurian to roux, Egyptian or scarlet, you can get autumn amber. However the roux gene is sex linked and basically acts recessive in males and dominant in females. So if your roo is carrying roux, and you cross to egyptian, you would get autumn ambers and Italians.

I work for snowies and pearls, so I started with a pair of snowie manchurians over my celadon hens, Tibetan tuxes, scarlets, Egyptians, and I crossed my pharaoh tux to the snowie and pearl hens. I’ve gotten lovely mixes of silver and roux.

For your purposes, since jumbo is the goal, I would pick the largest birds for the project.

Gold eggs in the incubator!! They arrived yesterday and I let them settle for 12 hours or so. They should be 4-5 days old. The package was in perfect condition (unlike last time). I looked at the air sacs and they weren't scrambled (unlike last time:(). He gave me 5 extra eggs so 30 gold eggs in the incubator. NO CRACKED EGGS! They really have the shipping down. Ive never gotten a cracked egg from them. Just last time some point in delivery the package was almost destroyed. Anyways, Im very hopeful. I cant wait! Im considering buying a second incubator and going ahead to buy some celadon eggs and hatch those out so I don't have to wait 18 days until I get them. Just maybe saving a bit of time. I have been using a NR 360 with a quail egg turner I bought from someone on Etsy. Anyone have a quail subtable incubator they really like?View attachment 2706607
I printed a quail turner like that and I found that many of the larger eggs were not turning. I marked the eggs on various sides so I could see how far they turned. I ended up just putting them 2 per in the original turner. I also have the brinsea ovation 56, whichever model that does all the stuff for you, and I love it. Some larger eggs I need to use the regular egg tray, but most eggs, even jumbos can fit in the quail tray, just put them in the pheasant egg configuration without the separator.

Well it depends what you want, and what the birds carry. If you cross manchurian to roux, Egyptian or scarlet, you can get autumn amber. However the roux gene is sex linked and basically acts recessive in males and dominant in females. So if your roo is carrying roux, and you cross to egyptian, you would get autumn ambers and Italians.

I work for snowies and pearls, so I started with a pair of snowie manchurians over my celadon hens, Tibetan tuxes, scarlets, Egyptians, and I crossed my pharaoh tux to the snowie and pearl hens. I’ve gotten lovely mixes of silver and roux.

For your purposes, since jumbo is the goal, I would pick the largest birds for the project.
I already have jumbo wilds so maybe I will try with them. Then maybe whites or another jumbo for size.

Thank you so much for the help!

I printed a quail turner like that and I found that many of the larger eggs were not turning. I marked the eggs on various sides so I could see how far they turned. I ended up just putting them 2 per in the original turner. I also have the brinsea ovation 56, whichever model that does all the stuff for you, and I love it. Some larger eggs I need to use the regular egg tray, but most eggs, even jumbos can fit in the quail tray, just put them in the pheasant egg configuration without the separator.
Yeah ive been seeing that too. I just shake the incubator a bit every once and awhile and do an extra turn. But still its not perfect. I will definitely look into that one! I keep hearing amazing things about brinsea but forget to look them up.

Okay, I think I have successfully planned out an outline for my process of getting a Manchurian celadon rooster. I think I'm going to target for Manchurian as this is what I will use to breed for best color (thank you FloorCandy). I will begin by breeding a Golden Manchurian rooster to a celadon hen. Here I should have all heterozygous celadons with one copy of the Italian gene. Then I will breed two of these together (I will be spiral breeding with 4 clans to prevent inbreeding). These offspring should in theory produce a tiny tiny amount of Manchurian celadon hens ( Like 5-7% I think 🤣). Then I will breed these to the heterozygous celadons with one Italian gene from the first generation. Then (also in theory), this cross should result in 50/50 homozygous and heterozygous celadons, 50% Manchurian and everyone carries at least on copy of the Italian gene. So I will take some Manchurian males from this generation and breed them to known celadon hens (Manchurian or Italian holders). If all the offspring are celadons I know that the rooster is too. If not then the rooster I bred is heterozygous celadon.

Please inform me if I have made any fundamental errors🤣. Because I would be surprised if I was right on all this. Also, does anyone know the result of Manchurian male to Manchurian hen? Is this lethal?? Any insight would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Okay, I think I have successfully planned out an outline for my process of getting a Manchurian celadon rooster. I think I'm going to target for Manchurian as this is what I will use to breed for best color (thank you FloorCandy). I will begin by breeding a Golden Manchurian rooster to a celadon hen. Here I should have all heterozygous celadons with one copy of the Italian gene. Then I will breed two of these together (I will be spiral breeding with 4 clans to prevent inbreeding). These offspring should in theory produce a tiny tiny amount of Manchurian celadon hens ( Like 5-7% I think 🤣). Then I will breed these to the heterozygous celadons with one Italian gene from the first generation. Then (also in theory), this cross should result in 50/50 homozygous and heterozygous celadons, 50% Manchurian and everyone carries at least on copy of the Italian gene. So I will take some Manchurian males from this generation and breed them to known celadon hens (Manchurian or Italian holders). If all the offspring are celadons I know that the rooster is too. If not then the rooster I bred is heterozygous celadon.

Please inform me if I have made any fundamental errors🤣. Because I would be surprised if I was right on all this. Also, does anyone know the result of Manchurian male to Manchurian hen? Is this lethal?? Any insight would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Italian is funky, 2 Italians don’t always make a manchurian. Sometimes they’ll just be a bit less speckly than Italian. But keep crossing em and in a couple gens you’ll have some nice ones.

I bred my celadon Roos until I had produced 60+ celadon hens and 0 non celadons, before I confidently began selling them as pure celadons.

Manchurian to manchurian is not lethal. It makes all manchurians. I read recently the lethal gene was at the same place as the fawn gene, but it’s not the same, and most lines have bred it out. My Myshire snowies had several manchurian males and no hens, thru crossing back and forth, I’ve made more manchurian males but no hens. I’ve never read it being sex linked in any way, so I guess it’s bad luck, I’ve seen photos of manchurian hens.

Thank you!
:idunno You lost me at Okay,

Back
Top Bottom